Empty plug behind dash?

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Shinnster
80-90 Mem No: 17392

Empty plug behind dash?

Post by Shinnster »

I have been trying to find the issue as to why my temp and fuel gauges don't work and when i had the dash out I have noticed this empty plug. It is located behind the analogue clock. The clock does work though.

What is it for and should I have something plugged in there?
Ive looked down behind where all the wiring is hidden and there doesn't seem to be anything loose that could go in that connector.

1988 1.9 DG, 4 speed Tin top with double sliders.

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Re: Empty plug behind dash?

Post by AngeloEvs »

That is the 12v Clock connection to the membrane circuit which just folds over the connection and the white plastic part simply holds it in place - that is exactly how it should be and there is nothing missing.

The regulator is reversed in the socket which is the correct orientation for a LS7810 type equivalent if used to replace the VW original type. The regulator supplies both gauges with 10v so if the temp gauge LED was flashing when ignition switched on then the gauges are receiving the 10v supply.

It is worth checking the actual regulator output voltage using a multimeter set to DC volt by placing the meter probes across the temperature gauge centre nut and the nut closest to the regulator. This is done with the dash in place but before refitting remove the plastic shroud that the dash multi connector fits into by unclipping it and check the condition of the copper tracks.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

Shinnster
80-90 Mem No: 17392

Re: Empty plug behind dash?

Post by Shinnster »

thank you for the reply, being a complete new guy to this i Just assumed something should be plugged in there!

I shall try the test on the regulator voltage tomorrow an report back!

1988 1.9 DG, 4 speed Tin top with double sliders.