Off side (right) indicators not working

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

sweetaswesty
80-90 Mem No: 12543

Off side (right) indicators not working

Post by sweetaswesty »

I've got the dash back in after replacing the heater blower motor, tidying up wiring, cleaning earth crowns, etc. and most things are basically working OK apart form the right hand side indicators & hazard lights.
The indicator fuse was blown and I've replaced that and also replaced the fuse for the hazard lights just in case - before that nothing worked apart from the green light in the dash. I've also changed the hazard light switch and the relay.
Drivers side (left side - it's a 91 LHD Westfalia) all works fine but I've nothing on the right.
Just to confuse things when I first fitted the new hazard light switch the only light that worked was the front RHS hazard light.
I would be extremely grateful for some advice on where the problem might lie.
Thanks!

1991 Westfalia California Hightop1.9tdi

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Re: Off side (right) indicators not working

Post by AngeloEvs »

The 12v Supply to the indicator switch must be good since near side indicators are working. The indicator switch has two feeds from it, colour coded black/white for left indicators and black/green for right indicators, these supply the indicator bulbs. using a multimeter check to see if both have 12v when you activate the indicator stalk left and right, the side that is working will definitely show a 12v reading. If the other cable does not have a reading the problem is the indicator switch, if both have readings then you need to trace both wires to the multi connector as that is where your problem most likely is given that you removed the dash.

The hazard light switch will not affect the indicator function as it simply bypasses it and supplies 12v to both those cables.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

sweetaswesty
80-90 Mem No: 12543

Re: Off side (right) indicators not working

Post by sweetaswesty »

AngeloEvs wrote: 23 Jun 2021, 15:49 The 12v Supply to the indicator switch must be good since near side indicators are working. The indicator switch has two feeds from it, colour coded black/white for left indicators and black/green for right indicators, these supply the indicator bulbs. using a multimeter check to see if both have 12v when you activate the indicator stalk left and right, the side that is working will definitely show a 12v reading. If the other cable does not have a reading the problem is the indicator switch, if both have readings then you need to trace both wires to the multi connector as that is where your problem most likely is given that you removed the dash.

The hazard light switch will not affect the indicator function as it simply bypasses it and supplies 12v to both those cables.

Thanks! That's very helpful to know. The switch was good and I ended up checking the continuity of the green/black wire to the light clusters and discovered a potentially loose connection in the rear cluster which I fixed and everything now seems to be working OK.
1991 Westfalia California Hightop1.9tdi