Heater cable routing and troubleshooting

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Beemsquar
80-90 Mem No: 0

Heater cable routing and troubleshooting

Post by Beemsquar »

Hi all,
I am aware that this subject has been asked a thousand times, but no in those posts I can't find the information I am after.
I have a 1983 water called 1.6 diesel T25 and finally decided to take the plunge and fix my heater motor that had seized.
Unfortunately and to my surprise this was in fact the easy part of the process.
I have started to put the dash back together and all the ancillaries and have come across a problem with the heater control cables and the routing.
Basically, in routing these cables I think I have bent the cable that is attached to the top heater lever (attached to the top flap of the heater box) and the middle heater leaver is now stuck and will not move left or right.
All three levers worked fine before, the only issue I had was the heater blower was broken.

Typically, the photos I took to help me reinstall, aren't as helpful as I thought!

I can only imagine I have routed the cables incorrectly which has caused the bend, or have connected the cables to the wrong flaps on the box?
I have top Lever to top flap on the heater box (shortest cable)
Middle cable untouched and goes down through the transmission tunnel.
Bottom Lever goes to bottom flap on heater box.

I am going to once again remove the dash tomorrow and disconnect the cables from switch controls to confirm the switch levers are in fact free and maybe lube up the remaining cables and test again.

Could anyone advise me on the correct cable routing and which cable on the levers goes to which flap on the heater box please. Also the best way to install the dash to get the Lever control mechanism to fit without a struggle.
See images attached images I took before I took the box out.

Ps if anyone has a cable for the top Lever (Short cable) I can purchase, or can send me a link to the correct cable in stock online somewhere as I can't find one in stock, I would be most grateful.

Many thanks.

Andy
ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

1983 T25 Autohomes conversion, 1.6 diesel non turbo.

Robsey
80-90 Mem No: 11137

Re: Heater cable routing and troubleshooting

Post by Robsey »

I am not sure if this old picture of my '83 van helps.

1983 Tin Top with a poorly DF and 4 speed DT box.
1987 Electrics and a DJ engine.
Maybe one day I might get it finished

Beemsquar
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Heater cable routing and troubleshooting

Post by Beemsquar »

That is very helpful thank you.
I have managed to find a T25 breaking close to me, so have no got the cable I require and have replaced it as it was very bent.
Once the dash was removed the other cable became free, so I assume it was just bent to tight under the dash.
I had the cables attached to the correct levers and have put it all back together and all works well.
I also added a few drops of oil to the cables and moved the switches to work it through, hopefully preventing sticking cables in the future.

For anyone tackling this job for the first time, I would highly recommend screwing the heater controls back in BEFORE you bolt the dash fixings back in, it will make your life so much easier

I reinstalled in this order
- Place dash in situ under windscreen rubber while moving switches and steering column brackets to rough location
- Lower dash down and screw in heater controls
- make sure dash is under windscreen rubber and put 2 screws in
- loosely bolt the 4 screws in door pillar
- check all is good and fit remaking screws and tighten everything.
- reinstall steering column

Thanks for the help, hopefully someone else will find this useful

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

1983 T25 Autohomes conversion, 1.6 diesel non turbo.