Washer bottle pump circuit

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Ciaraneng
80-90 Mem No: 16696

Washer bottle pump circuit

Post by Ciaraneng »

A bit of a strange one: My washer bottle pump stopped working recently. The wipers themselves work fine even though they seem to be on the same fuse. I've older style (bullet) fuses and there is no wiper delay relay in place. I've checked the fuses. When I pull the wiper lever (i.e pump switch) on the steering column the voltage across the terminals (and from +ve to earth) goes from 0V to 1V. I've cleaned the earth crowns near the fuses recently so I don't think that's the issue. Can anyone suggest something to try?
1983 High Top 1.9 Petrol Early DG Engine

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Re: Washer bottle pump circuit

Post by Stesaw »

Check the connections on the pump end for starters, as it sits under the van they might be corroded or damaged if there is no cover on them, you're pump coulda just given up as well. 
1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project

Ciaraneng

Post by Ciaraneng »

Thanks Stesaw. I should have mentioned that I had dropped the washer bottle and pulled off the terminal spades off the pump. I measured the 1V voltage across the pump terminal spades. It's a new pump so that doesn't seem to be the issue.

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

Ah fair enough, what about the stalk contact is that OK?

Ciaraneng

Post by Ciaraneng »

I'll take a look. Thanks.

WellTrainedChimp
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by WellTrainedChimp »

Hi! I know you have a new pump etc, so this may not apply, but for anyone else stumbling upon this topic it should prove useful.

I recently fixed my washer bottle pump, and I haven't seen any posted relating the the repair of the actual pump. The below worked for me but I can't necessarily guarantee it will work for everyone. 

It involved removing the pump from the bottle, breaking open the top cap to get inside the actual pump. I noticed that the little centrifugal magnet, were stuck to the impeller. I wiggled them back and forth to free them, and strayed with contact cleaner before leaving them to dry. 
Put the pump back together; connected to a 12v source and it whizzed away. Its been fine ever since. See below. 

1. I removed the pump, connected my voltmeter to the connectors for the pump. Pulled the washer trigger and the voltage showed 11.7v so I know I am getting power at the pump. Isolating the problem to the pump.

2. Bend the small plastic tab on the pump top cap back, this is quite flexible. This will allow you to twist the top cap with some grips, and break the seal, and take of the top dap. 

3. There are two small magnetic blocks on the inside of the lid which when supplied with a voltage put against the copper windings on the impeller shaft, turns the motor and spins the pump. Basically a very simple little  motor. 

One of the small blocks was damaged, but still servicable. I blew the broken bit out of the motor housing with compressed air. 

4. I then cleaned up all the contacts with contact cleaner and left to dry. 

5. Then hook it up to a 12v source, or simple plug back onto the power cable on the van (don't bother reassembling it into the bottle at this point in case it doesn't solve the problem. I heard to motor spin, and sounded powerful. 

So I reassembled everthing, sealing the pump top cap with a some delicately applied clear silicone. Put the bottle back on the van with some new U-nuts and zinc plated bolts, put some new fluid in, turned the key, pulled the stick, and the front of the van was covered in blue stuff. 

All Good!. Its been fine since which has been about 30 pulls of the washer while out and about. 

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

3. There are two small magnetic blocks on the inside of the lid which when supplied with a voltage put against the copper windings on the impeller shaft, turns the motor and spins the pump. Basically a very simple little  motor. 

Don't you mean carbon brushes that act on the commutator which then feeds the windings to provide constant forward torque?
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Ciaraneng

Post by Ciaraneng »

Stesaw wrote: 11 May 2021, 22:23 Ah fair enough, what about the stalk contact is that OK?
I took off the steering wheel and the stalk assemblies and cleaned everything up. I have good continuity across the contacts when the stalked is pulled. Does the circuit go through a relay?

Ciaraneng

Post by Ciaraneng »

WellTrainedChimp wrote: 12 May 2021, 09:28 I recently fixed my washer bottle pump, and I haven't seen any posted relating the the repair of the actual pump.

Very impressive to see someone repair a wee pump like that. I think those are brushes rather than magnetic blocks as Oldiebut goodie suggested.

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

Ciaraneng wrote: 12 May 2021, 18:44
Stesaw wrote: 11 May 2021, 22:23 Ah fair enough, what about the stalk contact is that OK?
I took off the steering wheel and the stalk assemblies and cleaned everything up. I have good continuity across the contacts when the stalked is pulled. Does the circuit go through a relay?
As I understand it you will only have a relay if you have intermittent wipers, It might just be your pump that's shot.

Ciaraneng

Post by Ciaraneng »

Thanks Stesaw. It's good to know that there's no relay. I think the problem is that I am getting just 1V at the pump. I think I might have to track the +ve wire back from the pump to the switch.

WellTrainedChimp
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by WellTrainedChimp »

Yes as above. Brushes not magnets, but you know lets not let lack of knowledge get in the way of a good result. I am a chimp afterall. :lol: