Instrument unit

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

johnwayne
80-90 Mem No: 17341

Instrument unit

Post by johnwayne »

Is it possible to replace the whole instrument unit in one go? My (Analogue) clock doesn't work, the temp/coolant indicator either doesn't have its pointer, or it doesn't work, some of the plastic has gone opaque and the whole unit is just a bit grotty.

Is it possible to just swap in a digital clock unit in one? Is there any way to get a rev counter anywhere?

Thanks

1.9 Petrol four speed, 1989 RHD
Autohomes Komet conversion, originally Caravelle

izzybarnard
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Instrument unit

Post by izzybarnard »

We upgraded to one of Andy's Syncrosport digital dash's which is brilliant.Image

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

1987 Hightop with Subaru EJ25 Conversion

Robsey
80-90 Mem No: 11137

Post by Robsey »

In response to your question...
It should be possible to swap a complete cluster, assuming it comes complete with circuit foil.

If not, then there are various "upgrade" or repair kits that will replace the whole foil for you.

Prices vary greatly.
But expect in the range of £250 to £350 for the kit to suit tachometer and digital clock.

A dash cluster with the same functions will be quite difficult to source, and will also be quite expensive.
Consider a similar price for a cluster in reasonable condition.

If working in cold hard cash terms... the SyncroSport dash shown above would be quite a good solution.

Unless you want to keep 100% T25 in appearance.
1983 Tin Top with a poorly DF and 4 speed DT box.
1987 Electrics and a DJ engine.
Maybe one day I might get it finished

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

I have recently upgraded and repaired quite a few Dash pods and also fitted Tachos for Facebook members as you can see in the picture below. 

Analogue Clock

The analogue clock has a common failure which is the electrolytic capacitor that needs to be replaced. There is also a resistor that often goes open circuit due to the capacitor failing and that also needs to be replaced.

Tacho 

You can fit a 52mm Tacho under the warning lights but getting hold of a 0-6000 RPM tacho for petrol engines is the problem as most are 0-8000 RPM but if that is not a problem they are a lot cheaper than a VW T25 Tacho.

Acrylic Lens Replacement.

It is possible to replace these and make new ones using 3mm Clear Acrylic Sheet.  I wont go into detail unless you fancy doing this yourself, I have posted a Picture of one I did last year, the Lens on the left was replaced using 3mm acrylic.

Last edited by AngeloEvs on 17 May 2021, 17:16, edited 2 times in total.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

Robsey

Post by Robsey »

That looks like a very nice solution.
:ok

johnwayne
80-90 Mem No: 17341

Post by johnwayne »

izzybarnard wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 19:47 We upgraded to one of Andy's Syncrosport digital dash's which is brilliant.Image

I think this is probably worth the investment, was it difficult to fit? What do you do about the mileage indicator?

1.9 Petrol four speed, 1989 RHD
Autohomes Komet conversion, originally Caravelle

izzybarnard
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by izzybarnard »

Syncro Andy's instructions are pretty comprehensive and clear on what bits you'll need.
If you look on his website (syncrosport) all of the info is on there.

1987 Hightop with Subaru EJ25 Conversion

firetrader

Post by firetrader »

Does anyone know of anybody who actually takes off your faulty cluster and repairs/replaces them in the Manchester area, I am useless at electrical aspects, was just wondering? (Think I will be lucky).

Robsey

Post by Robsey »

I presume that you need someone to repair your existing cluster.

If you live on the east side of Manchester, then you are not "a million miles" away from Brickwerks, who are in a small village on the way in towards Huddersfield.
(Holmfirth / Last of the Summer Wine country).

They will know as much about fixing T25s as anyone.

If you need someone to simply strip a faulty unit and fit working parts, then I am sure there are several members within a reasonable distance.

Although few and far between, I am aware of a few vans in the south and east of the area.
Offerton( Stockport), Hyde and Dukinfield (Tameside) plus another in the Oldham / Chadderton area.

Being 80s technology, they are not strictly that complicated to work on.

Regards,
Rob.

firetrader

Post by firetrader »

Thanks for that, yes it's to have a look at my instrument cluster on my 1985 T25. Indicator and hazard indicators on the dash don't light up, similarly, my headlight indication bulb in the cluster doesn't light up. Because it's more than one bulb I find it difficult to imagine it's a bulb failure as more than one has gone. ( Note the actual indicators and lights work - they just don't light up in the cluster).

I don't really know what I am doing but doing what I can to research it, will take the cluster off next week and try to clean any contacts, can seem to find anyone who sells the coloured bulbs as may try those if I can find some when I take it apart to eliminate.

Will try the company you mention if all else fails as they are w quite a drive and prob would have to leave it with them?

I have had the cluster off years and years ago and remember it being a tatty circuit board behind it? sent for some electrical contact clear spray off Amazon. 

Thanks for your help/advice.

Robsey

Post by Robsey »

Try sending a message to AngeloEVS.
He can make up a very cost effective replacement circuit board kit for you.

As with me, he will happily discuss what you want, and the set-up that you need.

A really excellent chap.

As for the bulbs, they are usually LEDs (light emitting diodes). Replacements come as part of a new pre-assembled and tested kit.

It sounds to me, like your circuit board foil has died a death. Broken or worn through tracks.
Something that Brickwerks could only fix if they had a replacement circuit board to hand.

As for "in Manchester"... I am on the far eastern side of Manchester and able to diagnose what is broken.

I recently fitted one of the kits mentioned above to my very tired old cluster.
It is a struggle to spend more than 10 minutes fitting the kit - it is that well made, and the instructions are quite idiot proof.

Well I say that... but I failed to fit my voltage regulator to the kit and wondered why the gauges did not work.
Ha ha.
But now it is all working spot on.

Sometimes, us so called "competent" people can miss the obvious. Oops.

mariner
80-90 Mem No: 9916

Post by mariner »

firetrader wrote: 06 May 2021, 15:19 Does anyone know of anybody who actually takes off your faulty cluster and repairs/replaces them in the Manchester area, I am useless at electrical aspects, was just wondering? (Think I will be lucky).

I bought and fitted one of these:

https://campervanculture.com/shop/vw-t2 ... epair-kit/

My knowledge/skills is virtually zero but this is really straightforward and comes with instructions. Just make sure you get the right one for your cluster. The kit replaces the pcb that often degrades and leads to the issues you have. Cluster is easy to remove and there are vids online. 

1985 Super Viking with Subaru EJ22 (formerly 1.9 petrol DG)
1981 air-cooled 2.0 high top

firetrader

Post by firetrader »

Thanks, everyone for the good info, will deliberate, haven't had my instrument cluster off for ages but remember it being tatty at the back, had some good information, thank you!

firetrader

Post by firetrader »

Just a quick thanks to all the support and advice received, have had the cluster off and managed to clean the contacts and get it going for now ... see photo below it's quite tatty. 

Robsey

Post by Robsey »

Ah - I see, it is a later cluster - horizontal connector.

At least it is working for now.

Thankfully a very simple cluster... no DOPS, no Clock and no Tachometer / rev counter to complicate matters.