Noisy belt, Is it the Alternator?

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

MoritzTheDoka
80-90 Mem No: 0

Noisy belt, Is it the Alternator?

Post by MoritzTheDoka »

hey!

The ever growing list of questions i have is, erm growing...

We've not had the van long, and shortly after we got it the belt started to slip, just a bit at first, then a lot, and then suddenly non stop when driving home one day.

I swapped out the belt, checking the water pump whilst the belt was off and the alternator pump both seemed good; no play, no funny noises, no grinding etc etc. 

New belt on, all good for a few days, then the belt started chirping on startup, and this has now become a short, but definite screech every time the van is started from stone cold.

My question is, could the alternator be bad? stiff? causing the belt to slip?

It felt ok when turned by hand, but i was more worried about the water pump if i'm honest which i'm pretty sure is good

I also have a rough idle problem (i'll post another question about that after i've done a bit more digging through the forum for answers) could the two be related? 
1983 doka
1.9DG 4 speed

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Re: Noisy belt, Is it the Alternator?

Post by Mocki »

You should be able to feel if the alternator is difficult to spin .
it’s more likely that the pulley or pulleys have become polished by the other belt slipping . 

Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

MoritzTheDoka
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Noisy belt, Is it the Alternator?

Post by MoritzTheDoka »

Mocki wrote: 28 Mar 2021, 20:06 You should be able to feel if the alternator is difficult to spin .
it’s more likely that the pulley or pulleys have become polished by the other belt slipping . 

Thanks man, i did suspect that this might be the case, that old belt was slipping constantly that last trip out so would have given thema bloody good polish.
1983 doka
1.9DG 4 speed