Domestic Wiring

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Domestic Wiring

Post by maxstu »

Would someone please explain in simple terms what this means below;  DNO, TNS, UKPN, SPD etc?

Also the C2's are:

Remedial action required for 40 Thanet Road

RCD protection required
Bathroom light fitting is not sufficiently IP Rated
Cables not securely fixed

Along with the combustibility and age of the existing consumer unit, I suggest that a new dual RCD board is fitted with SPD (this can be opted out of by the landlord but I would need instruction to do so and this would be included as comments on the paperwork). While doing this, all cables in the basement can also be securely fixed. In addition to this, I will change the light fitting to a sufficiently IP rated fitting for safety.

DNO requests –
  • TNS earthing system is not offering decent earth reading, I can deal with UKPN with regards to instruction to change this earthing arrangement to PME as there is sufficiently low resistance between the Live and Neutral conductors coming into the property.
  • Main Fuse requires inspecting at the very least and most likely changing, this will also require talks with the DNO

Total price for all of the above would be £1072.5 (savings of £100 could be made by removing the SPD as this is included in this quote)

This does not take account for the C3 recommendations included in the report.
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

Cecil
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: Domestic Wiring

Post by Cecil »

DNO - domestic network operator . UKPN- UK power networks.——-the authorities that are responsible for metering equipment and the incoming supply .

TNS- type of  earthing facility (provided via the metal sheath of the supply cable,often lead!). T- Terra .N neutral  . S - separate.

PME -  protective multiple earth .Earthing facility provided by combining it with the supply neutral.

RCD - residual current device. ( earth leakage trip)

SPD - surge protection device. A recent addition to modern mains consumer unit to protect against surges of over voltage from the supply , for example from a lightning storm.

C2 - category of defect. ( shown in the boxes at the top of your form ) potentially dangerous, urgent remedial action required.

Z s  - impedance ( similar to resistance)  of the earth fault current path .
Last edited by Cecil on 08 Mar 2021, 07:43, edited 1 time in total.

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Cheers Cecil. And thanks for coming to my rescue once more.
Now makes a lot more sense. At least l can go back to electrician with a clearer picture in my head.
I understand new regs coming out for Landlords starting April will require upgrades to electric circuit?

Much appreciated
Stuart
MaxStu

Cecil

Post by Cecil »

Cecil wrote: 07 Mar 2021, 22:42 DNO - domestic network operator . UKPN- UK power networks.——-the authorities that are responsible for metering equipment and the incoming supply .

TNS- type of  earthing facility (provided via the metal sheath of the supply cable,often lead!). T- Terre .N neutral  . S - separate.

PME -  protective multiple earth .Earthing facility provided by combining it with the supply neutral.

RCD - residual current device. ( earth leakage trip)

SPD - surge protection device. A recent addition to modern mains consumer unit to protect against surges of over voltage from the supply , for example from a lightning storm.

C2 - category of defect. ( shown in the boxes at the top of your form ) potentially dangerous, urgent remedial action required.

Z s  - impedance ( similar to resistance)  of the earth fault current path .

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

All sorted thanks...

:ok
MaxStu

Cecil

Post by Cecil »

Good to hear.