Cruise control instalation and alternative parts.

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Re: Cruise control instalation and alternative parts.

Post by maxstu »

Loom is going to be my biggest downfall. Will need help from you more able chaps please.

Vacuum tester delivered yesterday. Both pedal switch and actuator (Jag XJ40) tested good. I will likely swap out old for new on the pipes from pump to brake switch.

Going to order Subaru CC stalk and On/Off now. Yet nothing will be fitted until warmer weather arrives next year.
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Post by Stesaw »

maxstu wrote: 17 Dec 2020, 15:48 Loom is going to be my biggest downfall. Will need help from you more able chaps please.

Vacuum tester delivered yesterday. Both pedal switch and actuator (Jag XJ40) tested good. I will likely swap out old for new on the pipes from pump to brake switch.

Going to order Subaru CC stalk and On/Off now. Yet nothing will be fitted until warmer weather arrives next year.
Hey now, don't forget that engine!  :rofl
1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Goes in April too :ok
MaxStu

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Keep some info flowing. Taken with thanks from a few different sources. However the route l have in mind.
Subaru wiring diagram and controls

MaxStu

Rascal
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Rascal »

So my two pedal switches arrived the other day... One holds vacuum the other does not... Not surprising. I also measured the thread its actually M12 x 1.5 pitch not the 1.0 as previously stated so M12 x. 1.5 nuts are what you need. I also disassembled the faulty one to measure the o ring to replace. It's 5mm internal diameter and 3mm thick.. This should be all you need to replace.. Iv ordered some and will let you know if they are any good.. Its actuly a square profile seal but I see no reason why a standard o ring should not work.

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Try coating the faulty seal with some vasoline and re-fitting and re-test.
The nut size seems readily available.
I now have the Subaru cruise control stalk. Waiting for on/off switch now.

So custom wiring loom required.
MaxStu

Rascal

Post by Rascal »

No point messing with vasoline when new seals are easily available

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

quad lip seals are weird sizes, generally imperial, not metric, but you should be able to figure out what size it is from the available data, not all sizes are readily available in the UK however - VW (Steyr ?) use a few of them for example to seal the difflock and decoupler operating shafts in the Syncro gearbox and I have those in stock but they are for 10mm shafts

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Did a basic test to the control pump today, on the kitchen worktop. Maxine is out 8)
I added the vacuum pump, which in turn connects to the piping circuit with the brake switch. I closed the brake switch and gave the pump 12 volts. All seems to work okay. Or perhaps not?
My thoughts are the control pump sucks air out of vacuum pump which in turn pulls throttle flap open. So if l release 12 volts the vacuum should be maintained until a command either increases or decreases vacuum. However the system returned to normal (no vacuum). Is this correct at this stage? l would have expected the vacuum to stay in place
I have tested both switch and vacuum punp with a tester. They are good? To the rubber piping next.

MaxStu

Rascal

Post by Rascal »

The third pin on the vacuum pump is a hold relay.. It needs 12v to hold it in position.. This way the pump isn't running continuously consider it like a ballon where the pump is filling it up.. The the hold really is when you pinch the neck to stop the air escaping.. Its all part of the safety measures much like electronic door locks that are normally unlocked until a voltage is applied and then its locked.. Then if there is a power cut the doors automatically unlock.. Same with the cc system.. You wouldn't want its normal state to hold wide open throttle

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Okay and thanks. Learning all the time. :ok

Is there a simple test l can do to make sure pump works in hold position? And all pipework and joints are airtight...there is a lot of rubber piping connecting pump to brake switch....apart from the inner tube in a bucket of water type of test.

Ive got a vacuum tester btw
MaxStu

Rascal

Post by Rascal »

Yes. The best way is to just connect the pump to the actuator apply 12 v to the pump.. Then quickly apply 12 v to the hold relay pin and watch to see if it litteraly holds. A more scientific way is to attach the pump to your vacuum tester.. And do the same.. But you can watch your gauge to see if it holds vacuum.. I have a video of me testing mine.. Not sure the best way to share it.

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Thanks. That info us most helpful.
Would you send video to my Whatsapp or email address? Will PM you now.
MaxStu

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Well thanks to an informative video from Rascal l have a working vacuum control and vacuum pump.
The wiring diagram in Bentley shows three wires for the vacuum pump.

First image

BR/BL or brown/blue, G/W or green/white and G/Y or green/yellow l assume (USA).

Second image

Yet different colours for UK wiring. BR/BL brown/blue, GN green and GN/WS green/white. Second image

On testing BR/BL from pump to battery earth. GN to battery positive and GN/WS is the solenoid holding wire. Swapping GN for GN/WS activates the pump holding facility. This gives constant position on throttle and thus cruise control.

My question is. Which green wire goes to the CC stalk? GN or GN/WS?

Thanks
Stuart
MaxStu

Rascal

Post by Rascal »

just looked at my pump and had hoped the pins were numbered  1-3 unfortunately not  howether  its all there for us in the diagram, pin 2 goes to the image of a motor M in a circle so i will assume that is the main +ve feed  pin 3  is the image of what i belive to be a electromagnetic relay so thats the holding relay, and pin one goes  to the  switch which then turns to a black wire which is generally earth... ? thats what i can work out from it anyway as as the wires leave the vaccum pum you can see they are joined i.e are a shared earth.