Square lights.

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

T3BUS
80-90 Mem No: 0

Square lights.

Post by T3BUS »

Hope someone can help me out (again), I have square headlights playing up! When I switch to main beam the rhs inner lamp doesn’t come on and the outer goes out completely. I have checked the bulbs, the fuses and cleaned up the earth terminal behind the fuses. I don’t seem to be getting any power to the terminal that links the two lamps at the rear of the unit The wiring disappears inside the loom and don’t really want to cut it all open if I can help it!
Is there a relay somewhere that could be playing up??
Cheers folks

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Re: Square lights.

Post by Mocki »

From original there is no relay , but it maybe there has been a relay added as a upgrade in the recent years .
However , if you are getting power to the headlights at all, it won’t be the relay if it’s there , it will be either dirty connections , a broken wire or poor earths from your description I think
Add new separate earths to the headlights , direct to the van body next to the headlights would be my first steps anyway , you can never have enough good earth connections
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Post by davidoft1 »

Sounds most likely to be an earth issue

T3BUS

Post by T3BUS »

Thank you both for that. The earth wiring to the bulb at the connector is showing good continuity so I don`t think its an earth issue??
Could the ignition switch be the source as read on various posts? Again, low beam fine but ALL lights fail when switching to high beam on the offside lights and the little blue dashboard light has also stopped working.
Bit stumped  :cry:

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

The dash tell tale is directly run from that one actual headlight , so if that headlight isn’t working the dash tell tale won’t

I still suggest it’s a earth issue , did you test it under load ? A poor connection often looks ok with a meter, until it’s under load

Simplest way to prove the point is to add a extra earth direct from the bulb holder to the van body onto a good clean point , even to the screw that holds the headlight bracket to the body would do .
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

T3BUS

Post by T3BUS »

Many thanks for advice, but unfortunately adding the extra earth as you suggested had no effect. 
Still in the dark literally and metaphorically !!

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Post by davidoft1 »

T3BUS wrote: 30 Nov 2020, 11:28 Many thanks for advice, but unfortunately adding the extra earth as you suggested had no effect. 
Still in the dark literally and metaphorically !!

Are they factory fitted ? I still think it’s an earth issue , pull a wire off so only one lights operating, what happens?