My dilemma

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

jpj73
80-90 Mem No: 0

My dilemma

Post by jpj73 »

Hi all,
Okay so I maybe missing something here...

Recently on a trip home my leisure battery started hissing and boiling. I have a 1989 autosleeper trooper that's totally stock and part of the furniture.
Okay so i disconnected the leisure battery and disposed of it as it was deemed "dead" and it probably was as it was several years old.

Well here is my problem - since disconnecting the leisure battery the courtesy lights and clock don't work anymore as well as the camping strip lights. I know they used to run off the leisure battery and if i put a fuse in slot 3 then they will work. However when i put a fuse in slot three the van won't start...just clicks and wont start. If i remove the fuse in slot three then the van starts after a couple of turns.

So i got another leisure battery (old one from shed) and connected that under the passenger seat but i'm guessing its dead also as after driving around the battery indicator on the panel show green but as soon as i turn of the engine the interior lights, clock and courtesy lights also go off. To me this shows the leisure battery is also dead.

So its now disconnected with no leisure battery installed - i need to get a new one.

Well now since there is no leisure battery connected I have now noticed that when i start the van the click is now happening quite a lot, say three attempts before the engine fires up. this is all the time now, sometimes three attempts, sometimes 2 etc etc.

Any help would be amazing as i've never had an issue with the van before. 
cheers

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Re: My dilemma

Post by Mocki »

Morning
I think you have more than one thing going on here .

Firstly yes the leisure Batterys are dead , and clearly you have no fuse in the split charge circuit or it would have blown when you installed a completely flat battery . That needs addressing .

The fuse 3 mod is a common one to counteract the idleness of the original convertor who couldn’t be bothered to rewire the interior lighting loom to the leisure battery , and shouldn’t have any bearing on the vans electrical system , but reinstalling fuse three without disconnecting the modified wiring can lead to complications if no battery is present , particularly if the positive connections that should be on the leisure battery are not insulated and just left dangling in the battery box . It also would mean that when the engine did start the split charge relay is back feeding the interior lighting circuit if the fuse three is reinstalled .
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

jpj73
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: My dilemma

Post by jpj73 »

Hi Steve
There are a couple of fuses in the split charging system and i've checked them and they are not fused. In my system the fuses are in the leisure battery compartment 

I have also insulated the live connection as it was as you say "live". As far as i can see the interior lighting is wired to the leisure battery as it always worked when the van was off, now it only works with the engine running. 

Could a new leisure battery solve all my issues?

The most concerning aspect for me was the leisure battery getting too hot to touch and bubbling away. How can this be prevented?