Dash cluster wiring differences

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Rara72
80-90 Mem No: 0

Dash cluster wiring differences

Post by Rara72 »

I have just picked up a what I beleive to be a late dash cluster with a clock on the right hand side.

Is it possible to get this to work on an early van?

When I connect it up, the temp light comes on with no ignition and fuel guage moves, but when I turn ignition on guage goes back to empty.

When I turn ignition on, no indicator or main beam lights work and fuel guage goes back to zero.

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Re: Dash cluster wiring differences

Post by AngeloEvs »

If you look a few threads down for ‘instrument cluster ribbon’ you will see details regarding the differences between early and late vans.

You will need to re assign the wiring in the edge connector to suit your later dash. This is quite easy to do as the edge connector can be prised apart so that the wiring can be re-arranged.

However, later vans have different oil pressure warning system and you will need to make a modification to the later dash in order to have the oil pressure led working. I will post details later.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

colinlowe
80-90 Mem No: 15914

Post by colinlowe »

Hi Rara,
I am no expert here, other are, but I would start by looking at the excellent work done by CJH when he produced a replacement for the 'Blue Ribbon' connection on the dash unit.  Part of his work includes a comparison of pin-outs for earl and late models.
Whether it is just a case of moving pins I cannot comment, I expect more knowledge will be along later to help. However, in the meantime this might be worth a look, page 8 -
http://www.cjh.me.uk/MyPhotobucket/albu ... 20v0.4.pdf
Cheers,
Colin.
1988 AutoSleeper VHT 1.9DG

Rara72
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Rara72 »

Thank you for the link.

Cheers Neil