Voltage sensing split charge relay

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

eddgina
80-90 Mem No: 0

Voltage sensing split charge relay

Post by eddgina »

have just fitted a voltage sensing split charge relay to my T25 which has a zig cf 8 which charges the leasure battery when hooked up will the relay now fitted allow the starting battery to charge as well 

Eddie 

MidLifeCrisis
80-90 Mem No: 10519

Re: Voltage sensing split charge relay

Post by MidLifeCrisis »

'Probably not' - I say probably because it depends on which split charge relay you have used?
Is it triggered by the signal from the alternator, or does it sense voltage levels and trigger that way?
If so, do you know if it senses voltage on just the starter battery or on the leisure battery too?

For example - the split charge that I have senses battery voltage on either battery and will 'trigger' if either is sufficiently high (which is annoying as my solar panels charge the leisure battery at a high enough voltage that it triggers the split charge and starts charging the starter too - which is not what I intended it to do) ....

... so which split charge reply do you have?
1987 Westfalia Van, Petrol 2.0 AGG

eddgina
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by eddgina »

Thanks for the info I am not sure is the answer the description says this combination relay automatically senses battery/alternator condition and load demand and switches from the car battery to the caravan battery, fridge and lights via its own split charge relay.  Sensing is automatic and dose not require a separate lead from the ignition. I will have a look tomorrow Thanks again 

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

Put it back in the box and send it back , it lies ! 

a voltage sensing relay merely joins the two batteries together when the voltage of ( either) one of them rises to the trigger voltage , and disconnects when the voltage drops below the cut off voltage ...  nothing more , nothing less.... 

a simple 100amp auto relay and a single blue wire to the alternator will give you a reliable accurate split charge for a quarter of the price 
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

Mine senses the Starter battery voltage and can be adjusted regards the trip point threshold voltage which activates the relay to allow the leisure battery to receive charge.     Mine is set to activate at 13.2v.  The relay has three connections , one to the Main battery, one to chassis and one to the leisure battery.   It is wired via the CF 8 touring/ on-site switch so that it can be isolated when on hook up and using the cf8 charger.   I can give you more details if you want.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

hubcap61
80-90 Mem No: 16853

Post by hubcap61 »

Keep it simple.
As above posts suggest.
This is how i have wired my bus.
1984 Caravelle 1.9 DG 34 DAT
2002 Audi TT 225 BAM.