speedo and odometer stopped. Where to look first?

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Middle29
80-90 Mem No: 14427

speedo and odometer stopped. Where to look first?

Post by Middle29 »

Speedo and odometer both stopped working after a period of bouncing needle and maybe following brake check / MOT
I had a quick look and wire looks to be still connected both ends. The hub cap bit has a wire coming through which I can turn but feels like a bit of resistance there.

I've read itchy's thread and a few others about replacement and looking at the cogs/tumbler.

Before I get into replacing or removing speedo. I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking/checking for at the wheel end.

The hub has a greasy bit with what appears to be a wire and maybe a clip but there isn't any kind of nipple that I've seen in other photos. 

Whats the best order of checks? Does it start with some wiggling wires before removing things....

How difficult is removing the speedo to look at cogs?

Advice appreciated...

Last edited by Middle29 on 03 Sep 2020, 17:06, edited 1 time in total.
1990 Atlantic Westy Pop-Top... 1.9TD

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Re: speedo and odometer stopped. Where to look first?

Post by TONYT25T25 »

I recently had a similar problem and got some advice from MOCKI it had to tight a bend in at the point where it enters the back of the binnacle, I removed it from the back of the binnacle put a little oil down it and then replaced it without the kink, and all now appears ok.
1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX

Middle29

Post by Middle29 »

Thanks Tony. Doesn't appear to be a kink in mine. I just took it off & put it back on again on the off chance but no joy. The coolant light started flashing for some reason lol 😕

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Post by TONYT25T25 »

When I said kink I meant to tight a bend where it comes out the back, mine first of all didn't used to move, then when I fiddled with it and oiled it, next time I took it for a road test it kept on rising when I was driving reaching 110mph the speedometer that is not me.  So that's when I widened the bend from the back of the binnacle so it wasn't such a sharp turn.  I am not recommending the next bit but it was what I did.  I took the binnacle off and fiddled with the back of the cable whilst driving on a quiet industrial road with no other traffic, I could then see it moving correctly and its been ok ever since.  Check that red light out though.
1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX

Dazco
80-90 Mem No: 10544
Location: Sheffield. 1984 autosleeper trooper. 1.9 petrol called Jambo

Post by Dazco »

Take the hub cover off at the wheel so you can get someone to turn the speedo drive by hand .
Make sure before you remove the cover that the squared section of the speedo drive is sitting in the square hole of the cover and is being turned when the wheel rotates . The hole can wear so the drive doesnt turn .
Get someone to turn the drive and watch to see if the needle moves on the speedo.
If it doesn't move , the cable either isn't located correctly at the speedo dial end, or the inner drive is broken .
Auto sleeper fitted with EJ 20 subaru lump

Middle29

Post by Middle29 »

Thanks for your responses gents - Once I looked properly & knew what to look for, I managed to push it through further - think I'm just missing the circlip aren't I? 

Theres a bit of rotational play, is it a massive bodge to push something in there to stop that to firm it up? 

It's working again by the way, if a little bouncy...

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

Ahhh the bouncing needle.. just enjoy the endearing design deficiency with the rest of us
===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed

Middle29

Post by Middle29 »

slowcoach wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 14:25 Ahhh the bouncing needle.. just enjoy the endearing design deficiency with the rest of us Image

When approaching a 40mph speed camera: Look at needle > mentally adjust for MPH > estimate margin of error within bounce > cross fingers > look in mirror to see if there was a flash >then wonder if you could appeal on that basis...
  :ok

diabolov
80-90 Mem No: 14844

Post by diabolov »

Middle29 wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 14:30
slowcoach wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 14:25 Ahhh the bouncing needle.. just enjoy the endearing design deficiency with the rest of us Image

When approaching a 40mph speed camera: Look at needle > mentally adjust for MPH > estimate margin of error within bounce > cross fingers > look in mirror to see if there was a flash >then wonder if you could appeal on that basis...
  :ok

Direct quote from the owners manual  :D
Autohomes Kamper 1986 WBX 1.9 DG

slowcoach
80-90 Mem No: 8892

Post by slowcoach »

===================
1984 TRAKKA Conversion Subaru EJ20 5 Speed