Unusual engine temperature rise

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Unusual engine temperature rise

Post by TONYT25T25 »

Went for a drive today as not taken van out for about a week,  Noticed temperature gauge when driving along was higher than usual, cool day but temperature gauge was hesitating around the midway position threatening to go further.  Normally it sits at about the quarter way mark or slightly higher.  Only seen it rise to midway and beyond when stuck in traffic during hot periods.  Had side lights on due to rain, put some E5 Fuel in as normal but noticed that shortly after switching side lights off the temperature gauge dropped slightly.  Got back to house and left engine running and fan did cut in for about a minute when gauge dropped back to midway position.  I know I have a small leak where the plastic feed pipe connects to the rubber hose to the radiator, so not sure if this is a factor as I have been monitoring this for a while. Surely the side lights cannot affect the temperature and may have been a coincidence.
1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Re: Unusual engine temperature rise

Post by Mocki »

The sidelights maybe not, but with them the instruments lights are on , maybe a dirty connection or voltage reg issue , or maybe it’s just got a little air in and could need a bleed ... 
crack the rad bleed valve when it’s been up to working temp and been stood a few mins so still under pressure .
keep you eye on it , it maybe is just electrical 
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

TONYT25T25

Post by TONYT25T25 »

Thanks will check what you advised tomorrow when standing on the drive, the leak needs to be actioned, last time I tightened the jubilee clip between the plastic and rubber feed pipe when hot, will take a closer look at this also and maybe tighten up when all is cold so allowing for expansion to maybe seal it tighter if that makes sense, I do notice that it only drips when warmed up but not excessively.

TONYT25T25

Post by TONYT25T25 »

TONYT25T25 wrote: 27 Aug 2020, 21:01 Thanks will check what you advised tomorrow when standing on the drive, the leak needs to be actioned, last time I tightened the jubilee clip between the plastic and rubber feed pipe when hot, will take a closer look at this also and maybe tighten up when all is cold so allowing for expansion to maybe seal it tighter if that makes sense, I do notice that it only drips when warmed up but not excessively.

Had another go this morning, undid radiator bleed nut, all appeared ok, few bubbles but then coolant seeped out ok, temperature settled around midway position then when went slightly past halfway when fan kicked in and brought it back to the middle.  Van stationary so have not tested it under load whilst driving yet.  Still unsure about where the plastic coolant feed pipe connects to the rubber hose to the radiator is a result of the metal insert has expanded and causing the leak or the rubber hose itself, tightened up jubilee clip which reduced the leak but not completely.  The jubilee clip could not be tightened further as it came to the end of the thread, now considering fitting another clip next to it to spread the seal or look for a wider jubilee clip to compensate for using two with more thread.