Eberspacher D1L no heat.

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Re: Eberspacher D1L no heat.

Post by maxstu »

davidoft1 wrote: 15 Aug 2020, 11:59
maxstu wrote: 15 Aug 2020, 11:40 No. Im sure it locks out power to pump too, to prevent flooding heater box

There’s a fuse in the silver control box
Do you mean the ECU? Only silver control box l can find. Above heater box. Thats a sealed unit surely?
Regards
Stuart
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Post by davidoft1 »

Yes is have a small knob looking type thing on the bottom, that’s a replaceable fuse

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Thats what l thought. Yesterday l disconnected one long and one short terminal at bottom and removed ECU from bulkhead.

Nothing as you suggest though. I was expecting a fuse holder there too. Least thats what internet shows.

Regards
Stuart
MaxStu

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Post by davidoft1 »

maxstu wrote: 15 Aug 2020, 13:12 Thats what l thought. Yesterday l disconnected one long and one short terminal at bottom and removed ECU from bulkhead.

Nothing as you suggest though. I was expecting a fuse holder there too. Least thats what internet shows.

Regards
Stuart

Got a picture of your control unit

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Let me know if better quality required (likely)?
I need to empty transom locker

MaxStu

maxstu

Post by maxstu »

Moved on to depth transducer Simrad IS15.
Manual says l can check strength of signals by pressing a certain button for ten seconds. Did that and nothing comes up close to diagram.
Oh well! :roll:
Shaver light working though :D
MaxStu

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

All the manuals state that heaters should be run monthly. No one appears to RTFM!

First thing that I would be looking for on a marine installation is corrosion anywhere, thermostat/ecu/motor. Symptoms sound a bit like the motor brushes are worn out/stuck - if the resistance is incorrect start up will not happen, intermittent contact could be happening.
Regarding number of attempts - the heaters should make an attempt to start, if fail it should then make a second attempt on its own - this is where the number of attempts doubles. You do one start up the heater does two and so on. ( Some heaters have no lockout, some after 3 attempts and others 5 )

Don't listen to anyone who tells you to apply a constant 12v to pump, they don't know what they are talking about and will possibly burn your pump out for you. :shock:

Mocki has got the heater fuse at the wrong end - it should be at the power source end, possibly a fuse box in that set up as I would expect to see a hefty main cable to the instrument area.

Motor fuse should be in the ecu - if your ecu has one there should be a cap on the bottom and a diagram with the fuse rating printed on the face of the ecu. They don't all have a motor fuse.

Transducer quite often fails due to a nick in the cable sheath, water can fill the coaxial screen which then messes up the signal.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶