westfalia 3 way fridge sudddenly stopped igniting and warning panel issue

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Paule39
80-90 Mem No: 0

westfalia 3 way fridge sudddenly stopped igniting and warning panel issue

Post by Paule39 »

Hi All
We are currently away on a 3 week trip around Scotland - fridge (3 way westfalia) has been running on gas for last 2 weeks. After a long drive up to Isle of Syke, the fridge has stopped cooling and the red light igniter is not illuminated when pressed. Also, the warning panel for the leisure battery and water (see photo) is not working. Normally this is resolved by fiddling with the bullet fuses by the door pillar as they can come loose. I have tightened them and also replaced the fuses - all to no avail. The leisure battery doesn't seem to be holding charge, it reads 8V when engine off but when running its at 13V. Either way, the fridge light still wont flash. Haven't tried the fridge on 240 yet, but hope to be able to do that later. As we are away I dont have many tools with me, but wondered if there was anything simple I could try? :?

1991 Vanagon westfalia

Paule39

Re: westfalia 3 way fridge sudddenly stopped igniting and warning panel issue

Post by Paule39 »

This is the fridge pic

davidoft1
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 16628

Post by davidoft1 »

Still sounds like an electrical problem , the panel is fed from those fuses too, put new fuses in, or swap them over to see if it makes a difference

Have you got an electrical tester , or a piece of wire to temporarily bridge the fuse holders to see if the issue is there?

Are all the screws on the fuse holders tight

Paule39

Post by Paule39 »

Thanks- I have swapped the fuses over , no diff, I have a multimeter- not sure how I would test though? Pic below

davidoft1
Trader

Post by davidoft1 »

Put one side to earth and check if you have 12v at the fuses

Paule39

Post by Paule39 »

davidoft1 wrote: 12 Aug 2020, 11:43 Put one side to earth and check if you have 12v at the fuses

Assuming I have tested correctly (Live to top of fuse and negative to earth on bare metal), I get 1.8V reading. Leisure battery is reading 8V this morning....any ideas - dead battery?!

davidoft1
Trader

Post by davidoft1 »

Definitely dead battery , run the engine fir a few mins and test the voltage at the leisure battery and the fuse, see if the fridge lights etc work too

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

battery is dead , no way will that ever be any good again if that is a genuine reading, with battry disconnected and only taking reading on battery terminals 
but 13v with engine running says the split charge is working,however , that doesnt ring true. earth issues??
neg connection 
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

Paule39

Post by Paule39 »

Mocki wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 17:07 battery is dead , no way will that ever be any good again if that is a genuine reading, with battry disconnected and only taking reading on battery terminals 
but 13v with engine running says the split charge is working,however , that doesnt ring true. earth issues??
neg connection 

Possibly. I got to a site with EHU and the fridge worked fine, very cold in fact. So, will get a new leisure battery now that I am home and take the diagnosis from there and report back... :ok