Water water everywhere...

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Porkandbeef74
80-90 Mem No: 17159

Water water everywhere...

Post by Porkandbeef74 »

Morning,
first post and new to the world of T25s. Looking for advice if possible...
Driving round M25 yesterday (not for fun) and had lots of people flashing me. Turns out I had water pouring out of the van. Pulled in to services and discovered that the internal water carrier which had a newly installed pump had been pumping 20+ litres of water out into the storage cupboard. The water had then seeped into other cupboards and was pouring out the bottom of the van through a couple of vents in the bottom of the van.

My kids had been allowed to play in the van in the morning - don't ask, the wife and I are having ongoing discussions :roll:

I discovered the 12v electrics had been turned on but don't know if/how they had turned the pump on to work without the tap being turned on (or could tap blockage result in water leak in cupboard area?). There was a smell of a fuse being burnt out and this was coming out of the Electrolux vent on the outside of the van which I presume is for the fridge but if it was a fridge issue why did the water pump chuck all the water out?

The water pump doesn't smell burnt at the pump end that goes into the water tank but I don't know where else the smell might be coming from if it is an electrical issue associated with the pump.

I let it dry out for about 7 hours and drove an hour home and it was fine (did wait 7 hours for the AA who didn't turn up).

Any advice about what to do next would be greatly received.

Happy fathers day right!

Cheers

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Re: Water water everywhere...

Post by TONYT25T25 »

To activate the pump the 12v power at the control panel needs to be switched on (illuminated) and the tap turned on as you said. The leak maybe behind the tap switch and if this is next to the fridge where it is on my camper the electrical smell maybe coming from water which has got to the tap switch or the top of the fridge as there is a lot of electrical wire and connections there.
1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Post by maxstu »

If its one of those silly Shurflo system then accidentally switching on 12 volts without turning on tap will cause this. Does pump still work? And welcome to the Club :ok
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

Porkandbeef74

Post by Porkandbeef74 »

TONYT25T25 wrote:To activate the pump the 12v power at the control panel needs to be switched on (illuminated) and the tap turned on as you said. The leak maybe behind the tap switch and if this is next to the fridge where it is on my camper the electrical smell maybe coming from water which has got to the tap switch or the top of the fridge as there is a lot of electrical wire and connections there.

Thanks Tony,
by the tap switch do you mean the faucet? I can see any other tap switch, the electric board with 12v switch on doesnt have a tap switch on it. The fridge did whiff a bit so you may have nailed it. I guess it is a case of pulling the fridge out and having a look?

Porkandbeef74

Post by Porkandbeef74 »

maxstu wrote:If its one of those silly Shurflo system then accidentally switching on 12 volts without turning on tap will cause this. Does pump still work? And welcome to the Club :ok

Cheers Max,
it is a whale pump ( https://www.propexleisure.co.uk/shop/wh ... ible-pump/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ), is that different from a Shurflo or can I have a whale pump and shurflo system?
Told you i was new to this!

I did wonder how pump could work if 12v was switched on but tap not turned on so that could be a reason.

TONYT25T25
80-90 Mem No: 13596

Post by TONYT25T25 »

Sri meant the water pump. On my system the 12v control panel has a water pump switch which shines orange when on, then below the sink there is a nob to activate the pump and allow water to flow. Just adding ref removing the fridge, there is a good guide on the wiki information board worth bearing in mind cabling and the vent pipes.
1984 Campervan 1.9DG Petrol WBX

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Post by maxstu »

Porkandbeef74 wrote:
maxstu wrote:If its one of those silly Shurflo system then accidentally switching on 12 volts without turning on tap will cause this. Does pump still work? And welcome to the Club :ok

Cheers Max,
it is a whale pump ( https://www.propexleisure.co.uk/shop/wh ... ible-pump/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ), is that different from a Shurflo or can I have a whale pump and shurflo system?
Told you i was new to this!

I did wonder how pump could work if 12v was switched on but tap not turned on so that could be a reason.

Depends if you have a switched tap. Look underneath tap for two wires.
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

Porkandbeef74

Post by Porkandbeef74 »

On further investigation I've discovered the pump feed into the tap had disconnected and must have been sending the contents of the water tank everywhere other than the tap

I don't know if having pump turned on would have accelerated the process of water distribution or whether it was similar effect to siphoning petrol with gravity doing its thing but I hope this is problem solved. I'm going to remove the sink unit to ensure it is properly attached to the tap so hopefully that will sort it. I will no doubt be back on here in the next couple of days when that goes breasticles up.
Cheers for your help.

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

Many years ago we were in deepest Cornwall and gave a mate and his surf paraphernalia a lift back from the beach , well I had one of those stooopid foot switches for the tap in those days and he put his bag on the foot switch and pumped the contents of the underfloor water tank into the sink and out onto the road, via the zorst at 70 mph , it was anot day windows all down could hear the pump , but looked in the mirror and saw clouds of steam and car behind flashing his light s.... I did a very rapid dive into the hard shoulder thinking the worst.... oh how we laughed ....
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper