Electric’s issue. swapped 1.9dg to 2.1dj

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

SuffolkT25
80-90 Mem No: 16532

Electric’s issue. swapped 1.9dg to 2.1dj

Post by SuffolkT25 »

Hi all.
My lovely T25 came with a fairly knackered 1.9dg. Usual head gaskets failure due to not being cared for. Was very happy to find a good 2.1Dj from someone fitting a Subaru.
Engines all in, runs a treat but I’ve hit a brick wall on the electrics. (I.e I struggle to figure out schematics in a Haynes manual.)

The problem. The black box has the 7pin Female connector. The existing 7 pin Male connector still runs off to the rear lights etc, and the new engine came with the loom, (digijet etc) with its own 7 pin Male connector. So now I have 1x female 7 pin and 2x male 7 pin. When I plug in the 7 pin that came with the new engine I have no rear lights and the temp gauge goes randomly up and down and random flashing red led. Also fuel gauge doesn’t work.
When I plug in the existing 7 pin male I get all the tail lights but the temp gauge does not move and the red led constantly flashes. Still no fuel gauge movement. I had hoped it would be a straight plug and play as I hate electrics but guessing not.

Couple of pics enclosed. Any help in pointing me in a direction appreciated, probably some of you will say in the direction of an auto electrician :)
Thanks
Jay

http://cubeupload.com/im/Jonnya/00E3173 ... 3B272.jpeg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://cubeupload.com/im/Jonnya/A3F5D10 ... 88951.jpeg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://cubeupload.com/im/Jonnya/C2D0688 ... ABD98.jpeg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Re: Electric’s issue. swapped 1.9dg to 2.1dj

Post by Mocki »

This may take a while ......
I have done a few DG to DJ swaps, but we always put the carb on the DJ .
I suspect one of your issues is not at all connected to the rear wiring loom - the fuel gauge .

Have you got the earth strap onto the RHS head to the body , under the coil ?
Poor earth will definitely cause issues with the coolant level light and the temp gauge .
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Post by maxstu »

I can see late cooling system. But what is the year of your camper? Pre or post 1985?
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

SuffolkT25

Post by SuffolkT25 »

maxstu wrote:I can see late cooling system. But what is the year of your camper? Pre or post 1985?

It's a 1984 van, but seems to have the later cooling system.

SuffolkT25

Post by SuffolkT25 »

Mocki wrote:This may take a while ......
I have done a few DG to DJ swaps, but we always put the carb on the DJ .
I suspect one of your issues is not at all connected to the rear wiring loom - the fuel gauge .

Have you got the earth strap onto the RHS head to the body , under the coil ?
Poor earth will definitely cause issues with the coolant level light and the temp gauge .

Thats exactly right. Wanted to put the whole digijet and injection all together with the 2.1dj and didn't want to go back to the old carb.

Now Im left with whether I can still marry this all up electrically with the old system.

The earth strap is good and have check with a meter. definitely the issue is figuring out the old to new wiring

Mocki
Membership Admin

Post by Mocki »

Ok, then it’s all down to comparing the wiring diagrams between what you had and what you have .

If the engine is running , where is the loom for the engine plugged in .
Maybe I’m missing what you are saying here ?
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

maxstu
80-90 Mem No: 3946

Post by maxstu »

Surely one grey area wiill be buzzer of doom wiring? Early vans one sensor and DJ two. Do you have two oil senders?
MaxStu
1989 DJ 2.1 Auto Leisuredrive rusty bucket.
"Blissfully happy in your presence".

Mocki
Membership Admin

Post by Mocki »

You say the DG was later cooling system , so There is also the issue of the temp senders , a dg has one temp sender for the gauge , but the other sender is a switch for the carb heater , where as the DJ the second sender is a temp2 sender for the ECU to alter mixture . Are they the correct way round and are they the correct senders
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

wiring diagrams are on Andy's website Syncrosport and Andy will be able to modify looms so they are compatible or supply the necessary parts

SuffolkT25

Post by SuffolkT25 »

Hello all.

Thanks fro all the replies. Just wanted to share on here for those in the future with the problem, that its sorted. Much like most of you had been saying, its about finding the right wires.

Being electrical diagram illiterate, I came across this thread that explains the whole scenario.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewt ... p?t=687694" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pictures, wiring colour descriptions, and bam. Problem solved. Just needed to know what colour does what, and cut the extra 7 pin connector off the donor 2.1dj and hard wire into the correct trailing loom back to the dash.

The full gauge not working was an unrelated bad ground.

Can't wait to get back on the road.

thanks

SuffolkT25

Post by SuffolkT25 »

SuffolkT25 wrote:Hello all.

Thanks fro all the replies. Just wanted to share on here for those in the future with the problem, that its sorted. Much like most of you had been saying, its about finding the right wires.

Being electrical diagram illiterate, I came across this thread that explains the whole scenario.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewt ... p?t=687694" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pictures, wiring colour descriptions, and bam. Problem solved. Just needed to know what colour does what, and cut the extra 7 pin connector off the donor 2.1dj and hard wire into the correct trailing loom back to the dash.

The fuel gauge not working was an unrelated bad ground.

Can't wait to get back on the road.

thanks