No Heater or Radiator Fan - Common Denominator?

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

dontpanic
80-90 Mem No: 0

No Heater or Radiator Fan - Common Denominator?

Post by dontpanic »

Hi Everyone

Need some wisdom on my early 1.9 DG Water-cooled engine (1985) as it's driving me around the bend.

The heater and radiator fan aren't working and I don't know why. I've read the forum threads on fuse 10 (bullet type) which is for the heater and wipers and the fuse (red) was very hot today as I tried to commission the engine after it's rebuild.

I'm hoping that it's a relay that might need replacing but would be grateful for any help or guidance. All the water pipes and thermostat have been bled and they're new and I can't find any breaks in the wiring under the dash or in the engine bay. Hopefully someone will be able to steer me in the right direction....

Appreciate any help

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Re: No Heater or Radiator Fan - Common Denominator?

Post by Mocki »

Last things first ....
Radiator fan .
It will only come on if the coolant at the rad is hot enough, it is not in any way electrically connected to the engine or temp gauge .

Easy to check , the rad fan control switch is located in the n/s lower portion of the front of the rad, accessed by removing the lower grill , pull the plug off and bridge the plugs connections , the fan should start , if it does , either the switch isn’t working, or the coolant isn’t hot enough in the rad ( or not circulating )

If it does not , then you have a power issue , and it’s track and trace time

As for the heater fan , it’s common for the heater fan motor to fail with age , it’s no biggy , I have not used mine in 15 years , more than enough hot air comes through the heater when moving to no need it , but if you are bothered by it , start by replacing , cleaning and checking the fuse , hot fuses are caused by bad connections as well as wiring to motor faults !
But it’s most likely the actual motor , so it’s dash out time !
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

dontpanic

Post by dontpanic »

Hi Steve

thanks for the swift and concise reply.

Thrown the towel in today so will have a go at bridging the connections tomorrow - I take it I don't need the car running hot for it to the fan to engage (or not as the case maybe)? Will give the fuse a good clean tomorrow and see if that does the trick..

Best Regards

Neil

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

No the rad fan is live all the time , keep the keys in your pocket it should still work .
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

dontpanic

Post by dontpanic »

Hi Steve

thanks for replying.

I've discovered the "temperature sender" on the thermostat housing is actually an oil sender which I suspect was put in to blank it off. Would this have any effect on the fan not working up front (i.e. how it determines the temperature to cut in)?

Best Regards

Neil