Windscreen washers.

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Garry2809
80-90 Mem No: 0

Windscreen washers.

Post by Garry2809 »

My van failed it’s D.O.E. a few months back on a good list of things. One of them being the windscreen washers not working. I tackled it today and replaced the wiper stalk with one from a mk1 golf which had intermittent wipers. My van didn’t have these so I assumed they wouldn’t work on mine. I was wrong!
I didn’t think t25s would be pre wired for them but we learn something new every day! Now my washers are working and I have intermittent wipers! Happy days!!
1986 T3 Matkaaja 1.6jx 5 speed

Ant-t
80-90 Mem No: 14390

Re: Windscreen washers.

Post by Ant-t »

Well done, I think the wiring was fitted to later vans as standard, there's a mod post on fitting the wiring to early vans in the wiki.
1983 DG Kamper 2

Dobble
80-90 Mem No: 15944

Post by Dobble »

On my van (later type) I just had to replace the relay to a timed one (number 19 I think) and remove the peg from the steering column switch to allow the intermittent position to be used on the stalk.
1989 T25 MTDI RHD Syncro

Garry2809

Post by Garry2809 »

Dobble wrote:On my van (later type) I just had to replace the relay to a timed one (number 19 I think) and remove the peg from the steering column switch to allow the intermittent position to be used on the stalk.
Funnily enough though after i fitted the new stalk i realised it was the cowling around the steering column that was causing my original stalk not to pull back to activate the washers. I just cut a little bit out of it, but when the steering wheel is straight ahead, the stalk still doesnt come back far enough. Anybody come across this or have any solutions?
Its not exactly the end of the world. The washers didnt work when i bought the van, and the only reason I got them working was for the D.O.E. test.

Dobble
80-90 Mem No: 15944

Post by Dobble »

I just had a look at mine, when I pull the stalk back it just touches the cowl. I wonder if your contact is bent or burned out which would mean you have to pull the stalk back further to make the connection. I can just about see the contacts on mine by looking through the hole on the cowl at the base of the stalk. If you look in the hole you can see the contacts touch when you pull the stalk back

E D I T, sorry I just reread your first post and realised you changed the stalk for a golf one. I have no idea if they are the the same or interchangeable with the T25. Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me will be able to tell you if it's a straight swap.
1989 T25 MTDI RHD Syncro

Garry2809

Post by Garry2809 »

Dobble wrote:I just had a look at mine, when I pull the stalk back it just touches the cowl. I wonder if your contact is bent or burned out which would mean you have to pull the stalk back further to make the connection. I can just about see the contacts on mine by looking through the hole on the cowl at the base of the stalk. If you look in the hole you can see the contacts touch when you pull the stalk back

E D I T, sorry I just reread your first post and realised you changed the stalk for a golf one. I have no idea if they are the the same or interchangeable with the T25. Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me will be able to tell you if it's a straight swap.
the stalk fitted straight on and looks like its bent in the same way as the original. Maybe the contacts are off as you suggested. Ill check it out later.
As i said its not the end of the world. I just want it to pass its test!!!