Leisure battery wiring

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

triggermala
80-90 Mem No: 17097

Leisure battery wiring

Post by triggermala »

Hi I have purchased a VSR split charge relay kit and new leisure battery. I am having trouble finding a good earthing point. I have put a meter on a few areas which have bolts into the chassis but only getting 1 on my meter is this correct and ok to connect my earth wires from relay and leisure battery to or should it read 0.

mariner
80-90 Mem No: 9916

Re: Leisure battery wiring

Post by mariner »

Hi. I recently bought one from 12v Planet and used their video below to help me install it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9p7IYfmkJk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you skip to 15 mins 29 sec you'll see they show the earthing wire connected to the leisure negative, although the text says it should be earthed to a common earth point or the starter negative. If you lift up the carpet/rubber between the cab seats I think you will find a screw that acts as an earthing point about 6 inches from the step down into the main area.

I didn't pay enough attention when I first watched this vid and have the earth connected to the leisure negative - think I need to revise this!
1985 Super Viking with Subaru EJ22 (formerly 1.9 petrol DG)
1981 air-cooled 2.0 high top