Running speaker wire from cab door - drilling required??

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mariner
80-90 Mem No: 9916

Running speaker wire from cab door - drilling required??

Post by mariner »

Hi all. Finally got myself some speakers for the cab door (currently nothing in the front of the van at all speaker wise). I know some have suggested mounting them under the dash but have gone for the more straightforward option of the bottom of the door.

Can anyone advise on how best to run the speaker cable? I assumed, after connecting it to the speaker, it would run up and out through the cavity in the bottom half of the door edge and through the adjacent cavity in the A pillar, then away to the head unit/amp. Having had a feel around I've found the cavity in the door and the A pillar don't not have any exit points, therefore I'm not able to feed the wire from the speaker up and out of the door, and if I could feed it into the cavity in the A pillar there seems to be no exit point from there to the head unit.

Am I missing something or is it a case of drilling some suitable exit holes for the cable? Cheers for any help.
1985 Super Viking with Subaru EJ22 (formerly 1.9 petrol DG)
1981 air-cooled 2.0 high top

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Re: Running speaker wire from cab door - drilling required??

Post by Titus A Duxass »

No drilling is required and you can, I believe, still get the (the English name fails me) rubber boot that goes between the door and the body.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

mariner

Post by mariner »

Titus A Duxass wrote:No drilling is required and you can, I believe, still get the (the English name fails me) rubber boot that goes between the door and the body.

Thanks for the reply. I just can't see how the wire can be fed through without the need to make holes - I must be missing something!

Jim San
80-90 Mem No: 13133

Post by Jim San »

Run it through the 'vent' hole just below the bottom level of the underside of the dash. Its a hole about 4" x 1". The same hole is on the edge of the door.
Just inside this hole on the door itself, there is a 1" hole on the inner skin - it comes out through there..
I'd send a wire (coathanger or something) into the door from the outside first - so you can pull the wire through
1991 (LHD) Syncro kombi 1.9MTDi 1Z (Landy fuel pump) 215/70/16
Life's to short to drink s@@t beer.
'Roads? We don't need roads where we're going'

mariner

Post by mariner »

Jim San wrote:Run it through the 'vent' hole just below the bottom level of the underside of the dash. Its a hole about 4" x 1". The same hole is on the edge of the door.
Just inside this hole on the door itself, there is a 1" hole on the inner skin - it comes out through there..
I'd send a wire (coathanger or something) into the door from the outside first - so you can pull the wire through

Thanks Jim. That's what I'm trying to do, I just can't find any point in/out the vents. Just to check, we're talking about the two vents shown in the pic below? The speaker will sit just below in the recess at the bottom right of the pic. Right, I'm off out again to prod around!

rsz_img_0983.jpg
(108.56 KiB) Downloaded 11 times

Jim San
80-90 Mem No: 13133

Post by Jim San »

mariner wrote:
Jim San wrote:Run it through the 'vent' hole just below the bottom level of the underside of the dash. Its a hole about 4" x 1". The same hole is on the edge of the door.

Thanks Jim. That's what I'm trying to do, I just can't find any point in/out the vents. Just to check, we're talking about the two vents shown in the pic below? The speaker will sit just below in the recess at the bottom right of the pic. Right, I'm off out again to prod around!

rsz_img_0983.jpg

Yes its those holes. Just inside the hole on the door there is a 1" hole (easily within reach of a finger) so if its not there, i'm guessing there must be a difference in the version of door. Mine is a late.
1991 (LHD) Syncro kombi 1.9MTDi 1Z (Landy fuel pump) 215/70/16
Life's to short to drink s@@t beer.
'Roads? We don't need roads where we're going'

mariner

Post by mariner »

Okay, thanks Jim. Definitely no hole in mine so I guess I'll have to make my own!