Heater only blows warm air

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mariner
80-90 Mem No: 9916

Heater only blows warm air

Post by mariner »

As the days get warmer (ish), I've noticed that not matter how far across I move the leaver the fans in the van blow through warm air. It definitely drops from the heat it gives out when fully to the right but not to what I would call cool. Is anyone able to give me a few pointers on what I should be looking at to try and remedy this? Many thanks, John
1985 Super Viking with Subaru EJ22 (formerly 1.9 petrol DG)
1981 air-cooled 2.0 high top

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Re: Heater only blows warm air

Post by Stesaw »

From my recent experience messing with heaterbox cables it sounds like the cable that adjusts the heater valve might be not in the right location so its not shutting it off entirely. I'd check the cable to make sure it isn't bent.. had to replace mine because the inner cable bent without me knowing and when I moved it sharply last year it snapped..
1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project

mariner

Post by mariner »

Stesaw wrote:From my recent experience messing with heaterbox cables it sounds like the cable that adjusts the heater valve might be not in the right location so its not shutting it off entirely. I'd check the cable to make sure it isn't bent.. had to replace mine because the inner cable bent without me knowing and when I moved it sharply last year it snapped..

Ta. Gives me somewhere to start. Is this accessed by removing the fascia/boxing in the cab? Watched a youtube vid yesterday on the heater valve and it looked like they were trying to access it from under the van, behind where the spare wheel sits! Thanks

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

If they bend it is usually the dash end.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

mariner wrote:
Stesaw wrote:From my recent experience messing with heaterbox cables it sounds like the cable that adjusts the heater valve might be not in the right location so its not shutting it off entirely. I'd check the cable to make sure it isn't bent.. had to replace mine because the inner cable bent without me knowing and when I moved it sharply last year it snapped..

Ta. Gives me somewhere to start. Is this accessed by removing the fascia/boxing in the cab? Watched a youtube vid yesterday on the heater valve and it looked like they were trying to access it from under the van, behind where the spare wheel sits! Thanks

As Oldie says they usually bend on the dash side, you can carefully remove your heater slider and fan controls and take the fascia off, it's a bit fiddly but it can be done.

RogerT
80-90 Mem No: 13706

Post by RogerT »

Aye the control end of the cable can be access - just - without removing the dash. The valve is a cessed from where the spare wheel sits. Old valves let flow through... i think a F O R D valve (not sure which one) is a good replacement.
Have you ever seen an unhappy fool?

88 Transporter with hitop camper conversion, 1.6td.

clone123
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by clone123 »

I've just changed my mates heater blower and cable to the valve on top of spare wheel as it was bent yes at the control end as mentioned on here the blower works fine thought I had adjusted it right it looked like it was opening and closing fully but obviously not as it just blows warm air glad to know it can be adjusted by just removing the fascia without stripping the dash again because that's what I told him to do as I don't have the time to help him yet

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
1985 RHD T25 hightop camper 1.9td 1Y engine
It's always easier with a friend

DM164
80-90 Mem No: 17035

Post by DM164 »

This thread couldn't have come at a better time. I had some of the dash out and decided to check the cables as I only get warm air through. Low and behold, the temp cable is bent and only folds up on itself when sliding the lever. The bottom cable isn't connected to the lever at all.

Is it a case of replacing cables entirely? Can they be fixed in situ?

Cheers,

Dec

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk
'85 Caravelle 1.9 DG Holdsworth Villa 2

clone123
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by clone123 »

I found it easier to replace try to repair it but just keep bending

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
1985 RHD T25 hightop camper 1.9td 1Y engine
It's always easier with a friend

Stesaw

Post by Stesaw »

As I had to remove my dash today...
I was doing some insulation stuff in the front that needed to be done as the weather has been quite nice, when removing my front mat there was a lot of water under both sides... Wasn't quite sure how it got there til I remembered the washers were not working as well as they should have been. I thought they needed topping up as they were just trickling out so I topped the tank and tried them, turns out the pipe had split as was throwing water everywhere under the dash.. quite near the fuse box as well. Luckily I caught that while parked up at home or that could have been a lot worse.

Going back to the topic at hand though If you need to replace then removing the dash is the only easy option as you need to make sure that the cables aren't kinked.

mshaw1980
80-90 Mem No: 14800

Post by mshaw1980 »

My heater control valve was not sealing so a small amount of hot coolant was circulating causing me to roast whilst driving in hot weather. Replaced with a new one and all is good. Only cost about £8. Just a bit of a faff to get at above your spare wheel carrier behind the radiator. You can test the valve by taking it off, closing it and putting some water in. if water dribbles through then its knackered.
1987 VW T25: Subaru EJ20 using RJES parts (If it was meant to go fast it wouldn't be brick shaped!)

nevill3
80-90 Mem No: 8062
Location: UK Lake District, Early 1.6D CS now 4 speed gearbox

Post by nevill3 »

I had a similar problem but mine was cause by a previous owner fixing a jubilee clip in such a way as to prevent the lever that opens and closes the valve from moving in its full sweep
1983 1.6D cs PopTop Camper

Baysbrown Farm Campsite, Lake District

mariner

Post by mariner »

Thanks all, loads of great advice and help here and gives me something to keep me busy right now!