Can I take power from zig for 12v usb?

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

mariner
80-90 Mem No: 9916

Can I take power from zig for 12v usb?

Post by mariner »

Hi all. Want to add an additional 12v usb port at the back end of the van. Can I draw the power for it by connecting it into the zig unit - I'm guessing that as the zig is connected to the battery there must be a return current but I'm pretty green when it comes to electrics :oops: Cheers
1985 Super Viking with Subaru EJ22 (formerly 1.9 petrol DG)
1981 air-cooled 2.0 high top

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Re: Can I take power from zig for 12v usb?

Post by AngeloEvs »

There are USB modules designed to fit into 12v sources and I think you are referring to those. A conventional ZIG will be connected to a battery and probably have an isolating switch and various fuses. I would probably take a connection from one of them so that the USB module is connected after the fuse.

Which model ZIG do you have?
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

mariner

Post by mariner »

Thanks for the reply - it's a CF8 unit. This is the 12v usb port:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From what you've said sounds doable. Cheers.

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

Best to remove the zig, usually held on to the fascia with 4 screw's. The wires at the rear all connect via a multiway screw connector - just make a note of the wires, their colour and position before removing.

You will need to cut a hole to suit the USB module and make sure the location does not interfere with any components such as the transformer when re-assembled.

If you look at the fuses you will see that one side are connected together and the other side of each fuse connects to the multi way connector on the rear. Earth connections are also on the rear multiconnector (via tabs on the case that are bent into the connector block, there may be more than one available. If not, you will have to share with any other wires (usually black) that are connected.

I would simply connect the USB + lead to any one of the connectors on the rear to which one of the fuses is connected to - the negative of the USB module to any earth connections available at the rear.

You will find a reference diagram in the club WIKI regards the CF8 and rear connections under 'Campers - Electrical', also try Google, just search for ZIG CF8 images.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

mariner

Post by mariner »

Thanks Angelo, that’s really good of you - feel armed and ready now!