Query about radio cable...

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

DanT
80-90 Mem No: 17024

Query about radio cable...

Post by DanT »

Hi all,

Been looking into why the radio fitted to our van doesn’t switch off with the ignition. Read a few other topics and investigated the wiring bit am still unsure...

At first I thought it was an easy fix, but on further investigation I’m lost! Any help gratefully received!

1. Took radio out and found both the radio’s permanent live and accessory cables were twisted together.
2. On the van side, two red cables were twisted together and joined to the two radio cables.
3. Separated the two red van cables... with voltmeter identified the permanent live.
4. Tested second red cable with ignition on, and with engine running, but nothing on voltmeter.
5. Found a loose red cable by drivers door and with voltmeter confirmed it was the same cable (or, that it is joined somewhere along the way).
6. Loose cable is connected to a white connector block behind the dash with a number of other cables, and from there the block cables all disappear towards the radio.
7. The permanent live is connected to fuse 3, which includes the cigarette lighter.
8. Haven’t yet been able to chase the loose red all the way back from the white terminal block due to time limitations.

I hope this makes some sort of sense to someone... will do some more exploration another day as now back at work, but any suggestions to help me on the way appreciated!

Thanks!
Don’t wait. The time will never be just right.

‘Ida’ 1991 1.9 Leisuredrive pop top