T25 Starter Motor Problems - Earth

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Re: T25 Starter Motor Problems - Earth

Post by itchyfeet »

Well the 'reliable auto electrics place' should be prepared to look at it again for you.

In light of the fact the work you paid for didn't fix the problem you may decide to take it to somebody else but worth giving them the opportunity to look at it.

New parts can also be faulty or go faulty quickly id they are poor quality or badly fitted.

Has it worked reliably for a period since they did the work?
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

nigeldodd
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by nigeldodd »

There seems to be another thread covering the same topic here
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=142475&p=8290525#p8290525
with the title "starter motor problems"

I have just posted on that thread having solved the starting problem by using a jump lead to provide a good earth to the starter motor.

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

Marmalade67 wrote:Got similar issue. had all the wires to the starter replaced and new connectors by reliable auto electrics place and the starter is not even two years old. Our issue seems to be when it is hot. So we will be able to start and run it but for example after 10 mins stopping for petrol and then nothing Not tried belting starter yet as I felt it was too new. Of to France in it on Wednesday and not fancying having to park on slope to bump it for two weeks.
I had this problem. Tapping the starter with a hammer whilst someone turned the key always worked. But it's a PITA if the rear has to be unloaded to get to the starter. I ended up splashing out on a high torque starter in the end.
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

keynsham1
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by keynsham1 »

Bit of a thread resurrection here but I wondered if anyone ever go t to the bottom of this odd starter issue?

My van will mostly start fine but sometimes it will refuse. I can hear the solenoid click but the motor doesn't do anything. It is odd because it can be fine for the first turn or two (auto choke usually needs a few attempts) and then suddenly not work. No amount of rocking in gear, bashing will help. But then for no reason it will be fine again. 

I have checked all the wiring and earths, I have replaced the ignition switch and the starter solenoid and stripped and cleaned the motor. I have also replaced the bronze bush on the bell housing. I don't believe it is the battery wire because I would expect that to degrade slowly so there is basically nothing else to check. Nothing is wrong and it should work perfectly, but it doesn't!

I toured the Lake district and drove to Le Mans and back last year and it was perfect but by the end of the summer the issue was back again! As there is nothing else to check, I can only assume there is something wrong with the motor itself, so I have ordered another. The issue did start when I replaced my original starter motor with an aftermarket one but not until after a few years so maybe they don't last for some reason? Not great as I am replacing it with another cheap one (bit short this month!!) but needs must.

Davegrohl99
80-90 Mem No: 16802

Post by Davegrohl99 »

Do what I did I had a similar issue.

Buy some heavy duty cable and bring a negative feed directly from the starter to the negative terminal of the battery. I haven’t had an issue since.

Relying on old earthing points not matter how often you clean them the vehicles are 40 years plus now so will never fully get proper connections.

How it helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1981 Westfalia 2.0 CU engine.
1971 Early Bay Microbus.

DoubleOSeven
80-90 Mem No: 14520

Post by DoubleOSeven »

Clean up the gearbox earth strap and the studs on the chassis it fits onto.
1990 Volkswagen Transporter 2.1 Manual
2005 Porsche 911 3.6 Manual
2012 Volkswagen Polo 1.4 Automatic