Leisure battery condition indicator

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Ian and Lins
80-90 Mem No: 3532

Leisure battery condition indicator

Post by Ian and Lins »

Anyone fitted one of those cheapy ebay 12v car battery condition indicators? I'm thinking of something like this?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-5V-30V-Car- ... 2293131731" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What would a 'charging' reading be?
Are we going on anything else?

1985 Petrol 1.9 A/S Hightop

scottbott
80-90 Mem No: 6085

Re: Leisure battery condition indicator

Post by scottbott »

I have a couple of similar things except mine also have USB charge points in them as well when running in the daytime they show 14.2 to 14 .4 have not checked how accurate they actually are though
Nil carborundum illegitimi

nicq
80-90 Mem No: 10290

Post by nicq »

I don't think it actually matters how accurate they are, you will know when they change showing a problem has accured.
Last edited by nicq on 04 May 2017, 19:59, edited 1 time in total.
2.1 Twin slider

Ian and Lins
80-90 Mem No: 3532

Post by Ian and Lins »

nicq wrote:I don't think it actually matters how accurate they are, you will now when they change showing a problem has accured.

That's the plan. We've had a couple of (simple to fix) problems over the years but didn't know about it until the lights went out when we were wild camping in The Isle of Man and when the plug-in cool box we put on when driving stopped working...when we were wild camping in The Highlands. I'm guessing it should show a charging voltage and a satisfactory charged voltage if all is good?
Are we going on anything else?

1985 Petrol 1.9 A/S Hightop

Timwhy
80-90 Mem No: 9058

Post by Timwhy »

This one is connected to my Aux fuse panel. The other one I have is on the Charge Controller for the solar.
They can be quite different in readings though, I would imagine that there is some loss of voltage going
to the pictured one. Other than voltage a meter to determine capacity of amp/hours would probably be
better.
1987 Westy
What the Westy Wants,The Westy Gets

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_ ... ts=summary" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nesty
80-90 Mem No: 4023

Post by nesty »

nicq wrote:I don't think it actually matters how accurate they are, you will now when they change showing a problem has accured.

I have 2 of those in my dashboard (also a switch for turning them on and off). One for the leisure batterys and 1 for the starter. You can instantly tell from the levels if there is a issue!
Holdsworth Villa2 1983 1.9 DG, 4 Speed, LPG & Petrol+underslung leisure tank