Complete Zig unit rewire

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

meggles

Complete Zig unit rewire

Post by meggles »

Hi folks. Has anybody done a total rewire of their Zig unit from scratch. I am just wondering how difficult it might be. There are so many different wire gauges to consider and so many connections. I know a lot of traders will be able to sort this out easily but I really want to know from a novice like myself how difficult (or otherwise) it is. The lovely Blueangel sent me a wiring diagram so I have that for assistance but would appreciate any tips or advice. Many thanks. Any experts are welcome to offer me advice.

BOXY
80-90 Mem No: 8826

Re: Complete Zig unit rewire

Post by BOXY »

The wiring is pretty basic but some of the joints are soldered inside the unit. Why do you need to re-wire it?

2ltr Aircooled CU with twin Solex's & originally a 009 dizzie, but now back to standard.

meggles

Post by meggles »

Because when I bought the van the wiring had been partially chopped, partially chewed by the rodent squatters, and was taped up here there and everywhere! I reckon it will be safer to start from scratch.

BOXY
80-90 Mem No: 8826

Post by BOXY »

If I was going to re-wire mine I'd take loads of digital photos before I started, and then start changing the wires one for one. When it's time to re-fit check none of the new connectors can't touch any of the bare metal inside the case especially the incoming mains to the battery charger. If you can, use insulated spade connectors instead of the original bare type.
2ltr Aircooled CU with twin Solex's & originally a 009 dizzie, but now back to standard.

meggles

Post by meggles »

Sorry folks, not made my intentions clear. I"m wanting to rewire the van FROM the zig unit. I'm not actually rewiring the zig itself. :oops: