Check your lights

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Dazco
80-90 Mem No: 10544
Location: Sheffield. 1984 autosleeper trooper. 1.9 petrol called Jambo

Check your lights

Post by Dazco »

Couldn't believe the number of cars and vans I saw on the way to work ( and home) today with dodgy lights. Worst I saw was only one front fog working . As soon as I got to work , through the fog, I checked all mine were working . Go on, you know you want to . :ok
Auto sleeper fitted with EJ 20 subaru lump

wee bugger
80-90 Mem No: 3238

Re: Check your lights

Post by wee bugger »

What i notice more is cars with no lights at all (especially in buit up/well lit areas) due to the fact that all modern cars have permanently lit dashes...
1987 1.6d CS LHD Kombi TinTop

Scotlands Premier VW Club http://www.vwscotclub.co.uk Monthly meets

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

wee bugger wrote:What i notice more is cars with no lights at all (especially in buit up/well lit areas) due to the fact that all modern cars have permanently lit dashes...
This^^
It's just dangerous, as folks get older sight degrades, and it'll be the older driver that pulls out or cuts you up, because they can't distinguish hues in poor light.
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Domino
80-90 Mem No: 14834

Post by Domino »

Told a old chap in the garage last night his lights were off ,,, his words were "Mrs must of switched the auto switch off" ,,,, surly looking at the road would of told him his lights were off lol , I have auto lights on my bmw but I still check every time to make sure it's set right

Paul Southworth
80-90 Mem No: 10171

Post by Paul Southworth »

Mine are fine but would love one of those twin round headlight kits like the ones on the Mk 2 Golf GTI. I believe they are South African spec? Has anybody tried them?
1988 1.9 DG Autosleeper Trooper.

NicBeeee
80-90 Mem No: 8608

Post by NicBeeee »

For those that have not got one yet it might interest some that Halfords have opened there trade card for more tradesmen, although some would say that the prices are hiked up in the first place a trade card gives good discount on light bulbs. I bought 4 tail lights halfords price 7 quid , with trade card 1.50. Sometimes they are the only option due to opening late.
“A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.” ― Spike Milligan

1988 1.9 DG

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

Domino wrote:Told a old chap in the garage last night his lights were off ,,, his words were "Mrs must of switched the auto switch off" ,,,, surly looking at the road would of told him his lights were off lol , I have auto lights on my bmw but I still check every time to make sure it's set right

Why would anybody make a car with auto light sensors that you can turn off.
If you were not wearing a seatbelt your car would tell you, if it's dark and your lights are off your car should tell you.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

Domino
80-90 Mem No: 14834

Post by Domino »

itchyfeet wrote:
Domino wrote:Told a old chap in the garage last night his lights were off ,,, his words were "Mrs must of switched the auto switch off" ,,,, surly looking at the road would of told him his lights were off lol , I have auto lights on my bmw but I still check every time to make sure it's set right

If you were not wearing a seatbelt your car would tell you, if it's dark and your lights are off your car should tell you.

Yeah doesn't really make sense , my bmw has the two normal light settings and then there is also a auto setting ,,pointless in my case as I always check first before I drive off so may as well be switching them on at this point

The auto setting on the wipers is useless as well really as it can't make up its mind what speed it wants to be at so I end up doing it manually if it's only light rain

NicBeeee
80-90 Mem No: 8608

Post by NicBeeee »

itchyfeet wrote:

Multi story car parks I guess, my question is rather, why make auto lights anyway? and why do cars not have a warning light on the dashboard to let you know a rear bulb has gone. (probably do now but I have never owned anything less than 2006 plate)
“A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.” ― Spike Milligan

1988 1.9 DG

kevtherev

Post by kevtherev »

Fitted these to remind the fog light leavers that they're no required

Dazco

Post by Dazco »

eBay or Halfords?

kevtherev

Post by kevtherev »

Dazco wrote:eBay or Halfords?

:lol:

Wychall
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 9841

Post by Wychall »

Paul Southworth wrote:Mine are fine but would love one of those twin round headlight kits like the ones on the Mk 2 Golf GTI. I believe they are South African spec? Has anybody tried them?

Yes they are South African and work fine on mine, 'cus it's a South African :rollin

South African 1991 2.5i Microbus - now sadly rehomed to pay for a Melco EMT16X Embroidery Machine.

Dazco

Post by Dazco »

Mentioned this to my boss yesterday , who then started telling me all about his auto lights this that and the other on his posh Audi. Also about the various warning lights that come on which indicate which bulb has failed (£80 a piece), I informed him that they weren't called "idiot" lights for nothing . P45 is in the post . :ok

Mr Bean
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 5485

Post by Mr Bean »

My biggest worry is approaching vehicles on B roads where their offside headlight is duff.
At age 75 my vision to DVLA standard without glasses and I regularly visit Central London in order to keep sharp.
But Being a member of somewhat despised and disrespected age group by certain parties I drive with extra caution in order to protect my licence and insureability.

CS
Well-timed silence hath more eloquence than speech.
"A quiet shy boy who took little part in games or sport"
88 High top 2.1 WBX