dash clock not working

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

KOTSY
80-90 Mem No: 16840

dash clock not working

Post by KOTSY »

hi all. not sure if on the wright forum but here goes . I have a 91 1.6td and the analogue clock has stopped ,any idea"s where I can get it repaired or a new one.while I am on how do I put photo"s on the site, a simple explanation please as I am a dinosaur when it comes to computers. cheers . :)

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Re: dash clock not working

Post by R0B »

http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Mi ... g_pictures" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

dickybirdy
80-90 Mem No: 13322

Post by dickybirdy »

KOTSY wrote:hi all. not sure if on the wright forum but here goes . I have a 91 1.6td and the analogue clock has stopped ,any idea"s where I can get it repaired or a new one.while I am on how do I put photo"s on the site, a simple explanation please as I am a dinosaur when it comes to computers. cheers . :)

Hi if you want to know the time, its 19.08pm :D
RHD 1985 1.9 petrol wbx DG with a pierburg carb

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

No its not its 19.16
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

KOTSY

Post by KOTSY »

very funny.

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

It is usually a couple of capacitors that need replacing to fix the clock. There was a guide to doing it somewhere.
Here http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/fix-y ... 72774.html
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Although purely from a practical point of view, you're better of with a battery-powered digital one mounted somewhere handy. It doesn't draw on your battery then.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

burf
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by burf »

It's beer o'clock

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

KOTSY

Post by KOTSY »

thanks a lot.will try that and let you know may take awhile has I have other jobs [as we all have] would like to keep the camper fairly original has its a low miles [67000] 2 owner and all the history just have to master photo bucket. thanks again even for the funnies. kotsy.

sglcc
80-90 Mem No: 10279

Post by sglcc »

The clock on my 1.6td stopped working when the the whole circuit got fried by some water in the stereo. As well as killing the stereo & blowing the fuse it also burnt out the +ve line to the clock on the PCB at the wiring loom/PCB connector. The 5th connector (labelled 5. +UHR on the PCB) which feeds the clock.

I didn't know how to fix this burnout at the time so just bypassed it with a new +ve feed from the stereo wiring +ve (red wires). The bypass goes to the connector covered by the brown circled white plastic clip on the back of the clock detailed in the 3rd photo in 'Oldiebut goodie's fix http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/fix-y ... 72774.html.

First things last though (sorry), best to check if you're getting voltage at that white plastic clip's connector then you'll know which is at fault - power or clock.
1987 1.6TD JX Panel Van Conversion + High Top

NickG58
80-90 Mem No: 17396

Post by NickG58 »

Hi Guys,
I'm replying to an old post in case someone on here has done the clock fix using the 'Brik-yard' link.
My cluster/clock is very slightly different and on opening it up it actually only has one capacitor rather than the two mentioned in the guide.
The single capacitor on my clock is marked EPJ 100-25 V9
The capacitors I bought (as the guide in the link) are 100μF 35V Radial Electrolytic Capacitors

Anyone know if I'll be ok to use one of the 100μF 35V Radial Electrolytic Capacitors that I have already bought or do I need a different one?

Any advice appreciated.

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

The value is not critical but any 100uf capacitor with a 16v or above working voltage will do. What is more important is the series resistor, you need to check this has not gone open circuit. It is located close the capacitor and connects to the capacitor positive. If the resistor has gone open circuit you will have lost the 12v supply to the clock and it will not function.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

NickG58

Post by NickG58 »

AngeloEvs wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 17:31 The value is not critical but any 100uf capacitor with a 16v or above working voltage will do. What is more important is the series resistor, you need to check this has not gone open circuit. It is located close the capacitor and connects to the capacitor positive. If the resistor has gone open circuit you will have lost the 12v supply to the clock and it will not function.
Thanks for the quick response. How can I tell if the resistor has gone 'open circuit'? I'm not great on electrics... a bit above my pay grade:). I have managed to follow the guidance on that Brik-yard link ok and removed the clock and the old capacitor. I have a feeling anything more 'intricate' than that might be beyond me sadly.

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

If you look at the circuit from above with the capacitor to your right the resistor is on the left and just as easy to change as the capacitor. If  you have a multimeter, set it to a low Ohms range and place the probes either end of the resistor, reading should be about 82 ohms.  Alternatively, connect it up to 12v DC and see if it works.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

NickG58

Post by NickG58 »

AngeloEvs wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 22:30 If you look at the circuit from above with the capacitor to your right the resistor is on the left and just as easy to change as the capacitor. If  you have a multimeter, set it to a low Ohms range and place the probes either end of the resistor, reading should be about 82 ohms.  Alternatively, connect it up to 12v DC and see if it works.
Thanks, Just so I am clear there seem to be two resistors. One is a bit 'fatter' and slightly less accessible (closest to the capacitor I have removed). It seems to show a resistance of 3.5 ohms. there is another smaller resistor sitting under the board further from the capacitor and slightly more accessible. That one shows a resistance of 122 ohms.
I would upload an image but can't seem to work out how to :( . Are these readings ok? Which one (if not both) should I replace?
thanks Nick