dash clock not working

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Re: dash clock not working

Post by AngeloEvs »

Really need a pic but if you are getting readings across the resistors then I would test the clock by attaching a 12v supply to it. One end of the resistor connects to the capacitor and the other end to the 12v supply, unfortunately I do not have a spare clock to photograph but as I said, test the clock with the new capacitor fitted.

Just read your pm, you can post a photo when you reply, the last icon above this text is a black square with an i in it, click on that and you can insert an image - you will be prompted to go to the location where your image is stored.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

NickG58
80-90 Mem No: 17396

Post by NickG58 »

AngeloEvs wrote: 25 Jul 2021, 17:52 Really need a pic but if you are getting readings across the resistors then I would test the clock by attaching a 12v supply to it. One end of the resistor connects to the capacitor and the other end to the 12v supply, unfortunately I do not have a spare clock to photograph but as I said, test the clock with the new capacitor fitted.

Just read your pm, you can post a photo when you reply, the last icon above this text is a black square with an i in it, click on that and you can insert an image - you will be prompted to go to the location where your image is stored.
Here's a image of what I haveImage

NickG58

Post by NickG58 »

NickG58 wrote: 25 Jul 2021, 18:44
AngeloEvs wrote: 25 Jul 2021, 17:52 Really need a pic but if you are getting readings across the resistors then I would test the clock by attaching a 12v supply to it. One end of the resistor connects to the capacitor and the other end to the 12v supply, unfortunately I do not have a spare clock to photograph but as I said, test the clock with the new capacitor fitted.

Here's a image of what I haveImage

Couple of other angles
ImageImage

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

The resistor with a measured resistance of 122 ohms is the resistor that fails if the capacitor goes short circuit, yours appears to be ok so just go ahead and re-fit the clock. If you want to test it before re-fitting, the large tag is the positive and the one you had to unsolder to remove the clock assembly is the negative, if you look closely you can see a negative symbol close to it.

When re fitting the capacitor make sure the positive and negative legs are soldered correctly regards polarity.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

NickG58

Post by NickG58 »

AngeloEvs wrote: 25 Jul 2021, 19:35 The resistor with a measured resistance of 122 ohms is the resistor that fails if the capacitor goes short circuit, yours appears to be ok so just go ahead and re-fit the clock. If you want to test it before re-fitting, the large tag is the positive and the one you had to unsolder to remove the clock assembly is the negative, if you look closely you can see a negative symbol close to it.

When re fitting the capacitor make sure the positive and negative legs are soldered correctly regards polarity.

Great. I really appreciate your help with this. Thanks