Eberspacher Night Heater

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Re: Eberspacher Night Heater

Post by CovKid »

The potential for a seized or partially-seized blower applies to most heaters which is why its recommended that even in Summer they be run at least once a month. As Martin says, the squeak could well be that. If during the initial self-test the fan fails to give its best, or anything else, it probably won't fire. All fuel/gas heaters have a series of inbuilt safety features that have to be A1. You could try a little plus gas (not WD40) and see if that helps the blower. Worth a go.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Fozziebear
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Fozziebear »

Right thanks a lot for the replies so far I'm determined to fix this as I get the feeling it's not anything major I have just been and removed the silver box and removed the fuse which doesn't look like its blown see pic below I was sort of hoping it was but looks fine to me.
Where is the blower you are talking about is this under the black box? Also if I do need to change the glow plug where abouts is this located?
Thanks again for all the help really appreciate it :ok

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

Ahhhh! worth a try mate.
Yes the large 'under-step' box houses all the gubbins .. the two large pipes going to the rear of the box are air supply and heat into the van (the cold supply, which is drawn from inside the van, also carries the wiring to the blow heater)
The glowplug/igniter can just be seen sticking out from the box on the inside edge.
The fuel pump is mounted on a rubber sling (front of the box) and is T'd in to the fuel supply of the main tank.

I'm really not sure what to advise now as everything I tried had limited success (mine would work in a fashion but not reliably) and that is when I upgraded to a more modern Webasto unit with some jiggery pokery!

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

Pummer67

Post by Pummer67 »

Sorry to jump in but what does the glass fuse do. Mine is blown and blows as soon as I put new one in.

Fozziebear

Post by Fozziebear »

California Dreamin wrote:Ahhhh! worth a try mate.
Yes the large 'under-step' box houses all the gubbins .. the two large pipes going to the rear of the box are air supply and heat into the van (the cold supply, which is drawn from inside the van, also carries the wiring to the blow heater)
The glowplug/igniter can just be seen sticking out from the box on the inside edge.
The fuel pump is mounted on a rubber sling (front of the box) and is T'd in to the fuel supply of the main tank.

I'm really not sure what to advise now as everything I tried had limited success (mine would work in a fashion but not reliably) and that is when I upgraded to a more modern Webasto unit with some jiggery pokery!

Martin

Yeah it was worth a try! Sorry to sound like an idiot again but are all these parts, blower, glow plug, fuel pump located in the black box under the van or under the black box charger in the van?

davegsm82

Post by davegsm82 »

Fozziebear wrote:
Yeah it was worth a try! Sorry to sound like an idiot again but are all these parts, blower, glow plug, fuel pump located in the black box under the van or under the black box charger in the van?

Blower - Inside the main black box which has all the pipes going to and from it.
Glow plug - Again inside the main black box as above
Fuel pump - away from all the boxes, usually mounted near to the fuel tank.
'87 Devon TDi 'Lily'

irishkeet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 2322

Post by irishkeet »

I did a thread a while ago which may help...

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=136617

Irishkeet
------------------------
1985 Doka 1.9 DG 4 Speed Box
---
1986 Fakefalia Syncro Subaru EJ25

JoeHolland

Post by JoeHolland »

Hi, I have the exact same problem on my '90 westy T3 Atlantic (I just bought it and new to VW's so all new to me.) Scenario is this:
With the engine off, as you have described, the heater blows cold for 30 secs or so and then stops.
With the engine on, Same as above, but when it gets to 30 secs instead of cutting out, the fuse in the black box behind the (LHD) drivers seat blows.

The fuse that was in there was a 16amp continental fuse, the guy I bought it from said it works fine when he starts it with the engine running, I've tested it twice more and every time the fuse blows. Do I need a higher amp fuse?

Thanks

Beecashman

Post by Beecashman »

Hi Joe,

Have the exact same problem as yourself.. did you ever get anywhere with it... I know I'm going back a while with this thread?

Cheers, Brian

Beecashman

Post by Beecashman »

Actually Joe, I see Irishkeet has done all the hard work, fair play to him... I follow in his footsteps! Cheers, B