Which battery is which?

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Jimmy659
80-90 Mem No: 15048

Which battery is which?

Post by Jimmy659 »

Hi,

I'm an electrical biff so please bear with me here.

I'm having a wiring faff with my T25 Autohomes Komet (RH Drive) and trying to figure out which battery is which? Is there a way of visually telling which is the main battery and which is the leisure battery??

There's all sorts of wiring coming from the battery behind the drivers seat, with 3 cables (Red, Black and Brown, there is a fourth Blue and White cable but thats a separate topic) which all feed to the power management system (Zig). Am I right in assuming that this m=battery is the leisure battery?

Thank you.
1989 VW T25 Autohomes Komet II

nicq
80-90 Mem No: 10290

Re: Which battery is which?

Post by nicq »

Disconect one and see if you have ignition if you have it's the leisure if you haven't it's the main bat. The main bat should have much larger diameter cables connected to it.
2.1 Twin slider

Jimmy659
80-90 Mem No: 15048

Post by Jimmy659 »

Thanks for the reply nicq, hadn't occurred to me to check the thickness of the cables attached to the batteries. I now know which is which. Couldn't start the van to see which was which as it will not start at the moment, just trying to determine whats wrong with it, lots of flashing lights!

Many thanks.
1989 VW T25 Autohomes Komet II

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

The one behind the drivers seat (R/H/D) is the starter battery (if you van has a petrol engine) if its a diesel then the starter battery is in the engine bay.

Martin
Last edited by California Dreamin on 22 Aug 2016, 18:13, edited 1 time in total.
1989 California 2.1MV

weegaz22
80-90 Mem No: 15325

Post by weegaz22 »

California Dreamin wrote:The one behind the drivers seat (R/H/D) is the starter battery.

Martin

On my Van (LHD) that's the leisure battery, my starter battery is in the Engine Bay, thing is after 30 years on these vans and many owners chances are a lot of things could have changed.

But yeah disconnect one and see if you have ignition, that's the starter batt
1989 LHD Westfalia Multivan 1.9TD AAZ

AdrianC
80-90 Mem No: 9144

Post by AdrianC »

weegaz22 wrote:
California Dreamin wrote:The one behind the drivers seat (R/H/D) is the starter battery.
On my Van (LHD) that's the leisure battery, my starter battery is in the Engine Bay

Diesel starter batteries are in the engine bay, petrol starter batteries are under the RH front seat (whichever side the driver happens to be sitting - so driver in a RHD van, passenger in a LHD one).
Leisure batteries are wherever whoever put them - Westfalia put them under the LH front seat. Aftermarket converters may have followed suit, or they may not.
A year and a half living in a Westy hightop... http://www.WhereverTheRoadGoes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;