instrument temp dial in the red

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

colincolin64
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: instrument temp dial in the red

Post by colincolin64 »

Thanks for the info on the links you sent it will look at the problems they are saying thankyou guys all a great help

colincolin64

Post by colincolin64 »

Hi guys tried all them things in the links answer still no good
Wen I start up coolant light goes straight out after a few seconds then as the van gets hotter the temp needle goes right over to the right so it can't go any further after about 20 min driving wen I put infrared temperature thermometer at engine it is all good it's saying 85 c to 93 c running at 2000 revs . I have changed the sencer in the thermostat housing and the coolant level one aswell . There is no number 43 relay in mine it the early model . So it's got me stumped don't no wot to do now cheers guys

Smiffo
80-90 Mem No: 15151

Post by Smiffo »

colincolin64 wrote:Hi guys tried all them things in the links answer still no good
Wen I start up coolant light goes straight out after a few seconds then as the van gets hotter the temp needle goes right over to the right so it can't go any further after about 20 min driving wen I put infrared temperature thermometer at engine it is all good it's saying 85 c to 93 c running at 2000 revs . I have changed the sencer in the thermostat housing and the coolant level one aswell . There is no number 43 relay in mine it the early model . So it's got me stumped don't no wot to do now cheers guys

I think they all had relays.
One of the links I sent said something about early vans having it above the fuse box - not in it?
'89 1.9 DG

“It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.” ~ Mark Twain.

colincolin64

Post by colincolin64 »

No mate only 2 in it number 21 and number 24 relay that's all that's there that's why I am baffled. Don't no wot to do now lol

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

Smiffo wrote:

I am assuming if you unplug your sender then Mocki, you just get a flashing red light?

yes.

to the op
if you have no relay, then the red flashing light shoudnt work, some buggery has occured there!!

i would say, that if you can drive for 20 mins before it says its very hot, then it is indeed getting very hot at the temp sender in the thermostat housing, OR you have the wrong sender fitted ??
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Has the vehicle got a thermostat fitted and if yes, has it failed closed?
Is the heater working ok and how long before you get hot air?

ChrisTriple
80-90 Mem No: 12111

Post by ChrisTriple »

colincolin64 wrote:Hi guys tried all them things in the links answer still no good

I have an early van A reg I have a relay 43 it's by the fuse board but I think it's on it's own up there I can't have a look at mine as she's away at the moment.

Sounds to me like she's getting hot at the temp sensor an air lock maybe or failed thermostat?
84 Devon Sunrise PopTop, DF. Campershack LPG.
Full Body resto completed 04-17

http://www.T25Camper.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Unless all the bleed hoses have been replaced you cant trust them. The small air bleed holes can also get blocked with sludge.

Bubble Meister
80-90 Mem No: 4246

Post by Bubble Meister »

Have a read if the link below. In particular Angelo's description. He's v knowledgeable of the coolant monitoring system. Basically the low coplant level sensor operates a module that, when the system is low, puts an intermittent 'hot' signal. This is enough to trigger the light but not to move the needle.
If your needle is going to full hot it is highly unlikely to be the low coolant side. It is either the temperature sensor or wiring or a genuine hot engine.
If a genuine over heat has occurred then the rad fan should have cut in. If not then there is a problem with the coolant system, blockage or thermostat failed closed.

http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Co ... ht_on_dash" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Introducing Bubble, the B reg '85, 1.9 DF WBX (currently with a DG fitted!)

colincolin64

Post by colincolin64 »

I have put a new tested thermostat in and bleed the system fully no air pockets.

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Voltage regulator may have gone west, or as has been said: the capacator in the temp gauge may have failed.
I suspect that there will be more of these as time goes on, but maybe there is not enough collective experience as yet to accurately diagnose it.

colincolin64

Post by colincolin64 »

I have changed thermostat and bleed the system and made sure thermostat worked to before I put it in . And there's no air in the system. I have been asked to ask does anyone no the resistance of the the sensor wen the van is warm at normal running temperature thanks colin

Bubble Meister
80-90 Mem No: 4246

Post by Bubble Meister »

My temperature sender measures 135ohms when the engine is at operating temperature.
Introducing Bubble, the B reg '85, 1.9 DF WBX (currently with a DG fitted!)

colincolin64

Post by colincolin64 »

Cheers for that mate