Best 12v on/off GSM

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Best 12v on/off GSM

Post by kevtherev »

I found this..
http://www.amazon.co.uk/KKmoon-Opener-C ... 1Y0Q2BR98M" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It looks like it'll do the job of turning my webasto on and off
Anyone got other types that can be recommended ?
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Re: Best 12v on/off GSM

Post by lloydy »

same make as my one
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182000761702? ... EBIDX%3AIT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

kevtherev

Post by kevtherev »

It sure looks like a better device, the extra function is a winner for me.

:ok

Thanks Lloydy

syncroandy
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 851

Post by syncroandy »

I fitted an old Toad alarm to mine which has a relay output (it's a 4-button fob). Cost nowt and the range is fine with the van parked outside.
Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Have to agree. I started with a phone activated relay but couldn't see the point in continuing as my RF one (below) works perfectly well up to about 50 metres and there may be potential dangers on turning on the heater when the vehicle is too far away.

I added a 'how to' for Propex heaters in the WIKI ( http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Ca ... ior_Propex" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) and the unit can cost as little as £3 ( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-12v-1CH-Wi ... Sw5IJWg1lr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ). It will switch anything up to about 10amps.

To put this in context I'm a daily driver and at this time of year if I hear people scraping ice from their windows I can flick the heater on from indoors - does what I need it to do. I also have a programmable timer (about a fiver) if I wanted to use that which would start the heater on my work days but the remote seems to work best for me - both at home and at events as the weather is unpredictable. I haven't actually found a genuine need to be able to turn on my heater from several miles away but perhaps if I had a job where I was having to leave my vehicle at airports then it might be useful. Whatever you use still requires the thermostat to be set correctly.

The one Kev suggests is good as it only needs a ringtone so doesn't cost in calls but you'd still have to top it up eventually or the sim will be deactivated. Mine costs nowt - other than a new battery for the remote now and then.

The relay unit I use will switch two items so I could start the vehicle remotely, or sound the horn, switch on interior lights or whatever. On the plus side, both ideas work and will overcome a vehicle with frozen locks - eventually. :D
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

I use a cheap one similar to Ralf’s, .link here. It works fine. It's just great to get into a toasty warm, de-frosted van when you have to make an early start :)
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

All the different ways are good, I guess it comes down to how you want to use it that will decide the way you go.
Me personally, I went the GSM route. For me, it means I can turn it on when away from the van. When I'm 20 mins or so away from the van I can text it, it's on a 15min timer so I get to the van its toasty warm and the heater is already off.
Also I really hate key fobs with things on them so would want one of those garage fob things on it. one key and a bottle opener is on mine. My phone is always in my pocket so no problem there.
As said though, there is no right or wrong answer to this. Just whatever suits the user

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

lloydy wrote:I really hate key fobs with things on them
I know what you mean there. My unit comes with two "fob" things. I don't keep them with my keys. One is on the front room windows sill, the other is in a small zipped pocket on my coat.
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Post by Mocki »

i have a timer if i know when im getting in the van in advance and both RF and GSM, dont need the GSM when camping but RF is no good if im half a hour away from the van..... belt and braces!!
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

....plus range, and any ongoing cost. Having tried both, I began to begrudge having to pay just to control my heater. The advantages seemed outweighed - for me anyway. I could count on one hand the times in ten years when it would have (honestly) been handy to turn the heating on over great distances. It just did not warrant the cost but may work for some.

As it happens (and I'm at work now), today was moderately chilly so switched heater on by remote from the kitchen at 7.15 before I left at 7.40. A comfortable 18 degrees when I got inside it. Not everyone can park near or at home though, and GSM probably the only solution then - or timer I suppose. The other point is to REMEMBER is to turn it off - easy schoolboy error. A second indicator to remind you heater is live is essential I'd say. Over time I've come to recognise the sound the relay makes as to whether its on or off but a dash light would be a much better idea.

As for the fob, I've only got the one and I find it handy as I can turn heater off again simply by pressing the button, which is conveniently dangling from my keys. :D

Clearly different needs demand different solutions but all this is useful for anyone considering electronic control of their heating. If anyone fits a remote to later Propex thermostat let me know as pics would be useful for WIKI.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

kevtherev

Post by kevtherev »

I have bought Lloyds suggestion it fits my usage perfectly.
I also have the RF fob for when it's nearby.
I could have used the TK trackers fuel cut off relay but I intend to use that at a later date.

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

I considered the TK fuel shutoff as well but like you I have other plans for it now.

ringo
80-90 Mem No: 1375

Post by ringo »

Lloydy - i take it the on duration is programmable? I would like mine on for for an hour or 30 minutes.
Also, can you put in authorized numbers so only certain numbers can switch it on?

My current setup is a light activated relay circuit. When i call the phone next to it, the screen lights up and it switches the relay. I think i am going to change it because any sim card action can turn the phone screen on (an old nokia). Whilst it doesn't happen much it has happened.

Cheers,

Ringo
Now driving a big bad VW LT Florida.

lloydy

Post by lloydy »

Mine you have to put it in a learn mode and ring it from the phone numbers you want to use. After that it will ignore other numbers. There is a timer on the relay, on mine it's 15mins max or constant. But I'm pretty sure he will put in whatever timer you want if you ask him. For me 15 mins is enough to defrost the van, or take the chill off while your drinking your last beer around the campfire.
It's worth dropping the guy an eBay message and asking about the timings.

ringo
80-90 Mem No: 1375

Post by ringo »

Cheers mate - i have asked the question!

The guy says that it is configurable (the time it is on) and the SIM it comes with will last 3-6 months without being used.

I think i might get one (when i've fixed my eber).

Ringo
Now driving a big bad VW LT Florida.