Why no start if I disconnect leisure battery?

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

paulandchez
80-90 Mem No: 12181

Post by paulandchez »

The other day I was fitting a propex, so before I forgot, I disconnected the leisure battery neg. As it was, I never got up to completing the wiring, but I left the lead off anyway.
However, when I came to put the van away, it wouldn't start. I just had normal lights on dash but turning key did nothing. Refitting leisure negative resulted in starting first time.

I have one of those intelligent split chargers fitted, so I'm assuming it's something to do with that, but my simple mind thought that if the engine was off, the batteries were two totally separate units. Mine is the type where it needs to see a high voltage (engine running) from starter battery before charging the leisure.

If this is right, ie no start if taking neg lead off leisure, what do I need to do to continue to use van if I take leisure battery out? Remove the split charge fuse nearest the starter battery?

Thanks

Paul
T25 Westfalia 2.0l Aircooled 1980 in a nice beige colour with a bit of antique steel thrown in

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Re: Why no start if I disconnect leisure battery?

Post by California Dreamin »

All I can think of is that you are confused about which is the leisure battery.
The starter battery on a left hand drive Westy is behind the passengers seat....leisure behind the drivers.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

paulandchez

Post by paulandchez »

I'm not great with electrics...but I'm not that bad! :D
T25 Westfalia 2.0l Aircooled 1980 in a nice beige colour with a bit of antique steel thrown in

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

It won't be owt to do with the voltage sensing split charge relay.

Has it got an alarm / immobiliser fitted (even one you don't know is there). That might be being fed from the leisure battery and thus cause this behaviour.
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

Ruralman
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Ruralman »

Is it not just because you broke the circuit, both starter battery and leisure battery usually have the negative poles of each battery joined.

Regards
Keith
1982 2.0 Petrol T25 Hightop "Sergy"

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

Ah, but Keith, Paul's dash lights were lighting up ;)
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

I think that every owner should be forced to keep a written record of all wiring modifications made/found as after 30 years who knows what's what!
Maybe someone has modded it to run the radio off the leisure and somehow included the dash lights at the same time.
Is there a helper relay for the starter solenoid that is powered by the leisure?
Good luck tracking it all!
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

royt28
80-90 Mem No: 11915

Post by royt28 »

i think your starter battery needs testing. The auto split charge relay is working in reverse
keeping the relay open. will only disconect when shut off voltage is reached on the l/battery.
1990 westfalia california pop top 1.6jx

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

royt28 wrote:i think your starter battery needs testing. The auto split charge relay is working in reverse
keeping the relay open. will only disconnect when shut off voltage is reached on the l/battery.
With the greatest of respect, that isn't how it works. A voltage sensing relay remains off (ie batteries not connected) until the voltage on it's input reaches around 13.6 Volts. With no engine running neither of the batteries can be at that voltage, so it remains off.

royt28
80-90 Mem No: 11915

Post by royt28 »

He might have a cheap relay.or solar panel which will open the relay. only a thought.

My setup is 4x90amp batteries on the leasure side a 140amp Durite voltage split charge relay, 88amp starter & 100w solar panel. during the day the relay is open because of the solar input or i start using the ham equipment in the back or ebber startup it will dissconect until solar replacement or alternator charge from engine. The only problem i can see having the relay open like this if the main starter battery was quite smaller in amps .
1990 westfalia california pop top 1.6jx

paulandchez

Post by paulandchez »

ghost123uk wrote:It won't be owt to do with the voltage sensing split charge relay.

Has it got an alarm / immobiliser fitted (even one you don't know is there). That might be being fed from the leisure battery and thus cause this behaviour.

Ooooo you might just have hit the nail on the head. I'm sure I fitted the alarm to the leisure battery when I first installed it, just to make sure everything was sound and I didn't drain my starter due to mis wiring. Bet I never remembered to swap it over!!

I'll check tomorrow :ok