headlight upgrade "Maybe"

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

chiz
80-90 Mem No: 4069

headlight upgrade "Maybe"

Post by chiz »

Has anybody had these fitted toothier van?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360502340644? ... EBIDX%3AIT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I read lots of chatter about very expensive light upgrades but if these were to do what they say they do would they not be a pretty good upgrade.

Thoughts please
16" Syncro 3.0 H6 Subaru,Bluestar 2.1,Golf Country Chrome converted to RHD.

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Re: headlight upgrade "Maybe"

Post by CovKid »

Not on their own they won't be and I can match those at half the price. As I've said a few times, any upgrade to the lights has to be matched with an exceptionally good main cable route from front to back. I'm not a fan of Hella lenses either. They have a vague focus at best. Headlight units have improved massively since the 1980s. All the info you need has been covered a few times and the WIKI has much you can pick over.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

chiz wrote:Has anybody had these fitted toothier van?

Thoughts please
I have visions of a van with great big vampire teeth! :lol:
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Tinium
80-90 Mem No: 12269

Post by Tinium »

As CovKid mentioned, I'd recommend upgrading the wiring loom and then some +110% bulbs - made a lot of difference to my driving at night for £40 all in. For the money of those headlamps, I'd start looking into this LED headlamps thread :)
1987 Syncro EJ25 Leisuredrive Tin-Top Campervan

chiz
80-90 Mem No: 4069

Post by chiz »

Thanks Tinium I like your way of thinking.
16" Syncro 3.0 H6 Subaru,Bluestar 2.1,Golf Country Chrome converted to RHD.

Tinium
80-90 Mem No: 12269

Post by Tinium »

chiz wrote:Thanks Tinium I like your way of thinking.

No problems :) Here's the original thread for that loom - It's worth noting that my battery is under the drivers seat, if yours is in the back, you may need to extend the loom's live wire a bit. I've also since added another in-line fuse at the battery end (which you'll need to do after running the cable up into the battery housing), just to be double-safe, was a pound or so from Amazon.

And if you've not got a crimp tool & connectors already - they're worth their weight in gold on a t25! :D

Good luck!
1987 Syncro EJ25 Leisuredrive Tin-Top Campervan

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

You also need to supply a better path than stock from battery positive, relays or not.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Peter-T
80-90 Mem No: 10644

Post by Peter-T »

CovKid, you seem to know what you're talking about and I have absolutely no idea. Could I just check what I think i've learned from the Wiki with you?

My 1981 Devon headlights are pretty terrible, so I start looking for ways to upgrade them. I think I need to:
1) "upgrade the main cables from alternator to starter to battery " (I don't know what cables this is referring to, I assume power) and Earth from starter to chassis,
2) Supplement the 6mm power cable from battery to ignition/fuse box with a 10 - 16mm cable going into a junction box that can go under the dash / under front seat,
3) From the junction box, run the new headlight relays out to the units,
4) Replace the headlight units themselves with a more modern reflector and upgraded bulbs.

Many thanks
Pete
Image 1981 2.0 Aircooled Devon

marlinowner
80-90 Mem No: 13646

Post by marlinowner »

Also note that the earths are as important as the supply.If you upgrade the wiring to the bulbs, you'll want to upgrade the wiring from the bulbs as well.
1993 SA VW T25/T3 2.5i Microbus/homebrew camper
1981/1968 Marlin Kitcar TR6 Engine

petethefeet
80-90 Mem No: 12639

Post by petethefeet »

Hi all,
I have finally got round to doing the relay and heavy duty wire up grade after very scary drive in the dark in France!
I ran a 16mm cable from the battery underneath and up through the original grommet into the area behind the original fuse box (old ceramic type) this was terminated with an M8 connector.
I then pulled the original wiring through the sleeving at the same time drawing through a new heavier pair of high and low power wires; the earths are done locally to each light with an M5 bolt, the wires go to the same fuses in the fuse box. The pair of relay were then fitted to the top of the fuse box in spare locations, the original power leads now power up the relay coil with the power feed from the 16mm cable going to the pair of relays.
I am still using the original headlamp units, but I have got the option to update the bulbs later. I have still not tried it out on the road yet.
The hardest job was running the large power lead through underneath and making sure it was cable tied out of the way, the last foot of the wire was run through the side of the original loom sleeve and in to the cab. The joint was was wrapped with insulating tape to keep the water out.
Not a difficult job, just need to be logical and disconnect the battery.
I will try to post some pictures.
Pete
1982 2 litre CU Auto Devon Moonraker called Brian