petrol clocks and diesal clocks

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

taylors3
80-90 Mem No: 0

petrol clocks and diesal clocks

Post by taylors3 »

Hi can any of you guys tell me if l need to change from petrol clocks to diesal ones the temp clock after changing to a 1900d on my 1984 1900 dg petrol auto is not working only moves a bit after standing for a long time and reving but the rad fan comes on. The other clocks all work fine but so did the temp be for the change over so do i need to get a diesal temp clock?

cheers great site this .

Being a t25 owner why do i keep feeling that we,er the forgoten ones compard to the T2 T4 and T5s we all have our time in history

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Re: petrol clocks and diesal clocks

Post by CovKid »

Everything will transpose across fine. The only thing that won't is rev counter if you have one, but even they can be modded to suit.

I should add, I have diesel clocks in my petrol, with a petrol rev counter installed. I suppose the only major mystery is the accuracy of the fuel guage as I won't really know where 'empty' is until I run that low. Not found out yet.

At some point I mean to create a new WIKI article on clock modding. I dumped the dimmer for instance, as it wasn't needed at all with my DIY LEDs (50p each!) so this was replaced with a rad fan 'chicken' switch. Far more useful to be honest. Also, a new use for glow plug light once I figure one out.

My dash is hard-wired.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

taylors3

Post by taylors3 »

thanks thats realy saved me a job. yours look great

Smiffo
80-90 Mem No: 15151

Post by Smiffo »

CovKid wrote:Everything will transpose across fine. The only thing that won't is rev counter if you have one, but even they can be modded to suit.

I should add, I have diesel clocks in my petrol, with a petrol rev counter installed. I suppose the only major mystery is the accuracy of the fuel guage as I won't really know where 'empty' is until I run that low. Not found out yet.

At some point I mean to create a new WIKI article on clock modding. I dumped the dimmer for instance, as it wasn't needed at all with my DIY LEDs (50p each!) so this was replaced with a rad fan 'chicken' switch. Far more useful to be honest. Also, a new use for glow plug light once I figure one out.

My dash is hard-wired.

Hi CovKid.

Quick query on this thread.
Would a T25 Diesel rev counter work on a standard DG petrol set up?
( You say they need modding above, but I am thinking that might be because the OP went to 1.9 diesel. )

I just have a clock where the rev counter is on yours, and would want to do a rev counter instal eventually - but want it to look `authentic` too.
I have read posts ref the green wire from coil etc.
I also imagine the blue `ribbon` fro m my basic spec behind the clocks would not be compatible with a rev counter, so I would need to have it hard wired?

I know this is an old thread, but I have been searching for answers :wink:

Lastly - is the temp and fuel gauge in yours, the same as the later version I have in mine?
My temp is at 12 o'clock and Fuel at 6 o'clock. So would the gauges I already have fit into the positions in a rev counter face by just moving them to the new location?
( Are my gauges the same as yours, but just fixed in a different position on a rev counter face compared to my standard clock face? )

If I don't make sense on that last bit, just say.

Cheers,
Steve.
'89 1.9 DG

“It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.” ~ Mark Twain.

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

The reason you've not found answers is because its an impossible path. I too looked at that too. In the end I hung in a few years and eventually did a straight swap for my diesel rev counter for a petrol one. You can't move petrol/water dials round no. Somewhere on the Samba some describe opening up a diesel rev counter and changing the circuit board slightly so it'll work on petrol but thats all I know on that score. As things stand, the two rev counters are specific. It can be a long hunt but if you've got something to swap with, your chances increase.

Yes its a case of hardwiring in a rev counter (I had to do that).
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Smiffo

Post by Smiffo »

CovKid wrote:The reason you've not found answers is because its an impossible path. I too looked at that too. In the end I hung in a few years and eventually did a straight swap for my diesel rev counter for a petrol one. You can't move petrol/water dials round no. Somewhere on the Samba some describe opening up a diesel rev counter and changing the circuit board slightly so it'll work on petrol but thats all I know on that score. As things stand, the two rev counters are specific. It can be a long hunt but if you've got something to swap with, your chances increase.

Yes its a case of hardwiring in a rev counter (I had to do that).

Thanks for the reply Kev.
I have more pushing things to do first, but at least this gives me a starting point when this job rolls round.

Cheers
'89 1.9 DG

“It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.” ~ Mark Twain.

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Its Ralph, but I've been in that position myself and patience seems to pay off. Trick is to pick up one at a sensible price when the opportunity arises - even if its a diesel one. A swap is easy enough but starting with nothing makes it that much harder. That said, now I've got one, I barely look at the thing but it was useful (initially) to determine if i was redlining and its handy for setting idle speed.

Smiffo

Post by Smiffo »

Apologies Ralph.

And yes, I will wait around and look in items for sale now and again.
I have far more pressing things to do first.

There are some threads on converting Petrol to Diesel. Probably best just to wait until a petrol one comes up, I think.
I want the `real deal.` :wink:

Heard a rumour from a friend that there is a breakers yard near me that breaks T25's, so I may poke my head in there one day.
'89 1.9 DG

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Just pick one up somewhere that hasn't started charging "VW Tax" :rofl

AlandAnn

Post by AlandAnn »

Why are VW owners so focussed on being able to see what time it is?

It's not as if we're driving to get anywhere in a hurry is it?

I tend to use a calender in mine :ok :shock: :lol:
Living in Kilmarnock, proud owner of a vw t25 with a PETROL ENGINE .

marlinowner
80-90 Mem No: 13646

Post by marlinowner »

In this thread "clocks" is referring to the speedo, rev counter, fuel gauge etc. as well as the clock. I agree you probably wouldn't choose a T25 for a journey in which speed (or economy ) was of the essence...
1993 SA VW T25/T3 2.5i Microbus/homebrew camper
1981/1968 Marlin Kitcar TR6 Engine

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

I still think VW could have included a windscreen that goes totally black if it senses extreme danger. Would take all the worry and stress out of motorway driving and oncoming cars for starters. :lol:

Smcknighty
80-90 Mem No: 14436

Post by Smcknighty »

Dazzling bright white is better for the ultimate near death experience

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Along with an ethereal choir.

Smiffo

Post by Smiffo »

Smcknighty wrote:Dazzling bright white is better for the ultimate near death experience

Not if its due to those lights that cyclists wear..!! :rofl

I couldn't resist - I will get my coat :run
'89 1.9 DG