heater motor replacement

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

merckxfan
80-90 Mem No: 0

heater motor replacement

Post by merckxfan »

Afternoon all, I'm about to try and replace the heater motor in my 84 camper, I've been doing a bit of reading on the site and the wiki section and just wondered before I start has anyone got any positive experiences associated with this job?.
All I can find is tales of woe, and to be honest it's left me with a feeling of impending doom!, I'm not very experienced with working on cars in general, so am I foolish to attempt this repair?.
So, if anyone has some words of wisdom or upbeat anecdotes on the subject it'd be great to hear them :D . cheers Matt

Dazco
80-90 Mem No: 10544
Location: Sheffield. 1984 autosleeper trooper. 1.9 petrol called Jambo

Re: heater motor replacement

Post by Dazco »

It's a dashboard out job which sounds very complex and must be a daunting prospect.
Look in the wiki and there Is a "how to do it " page on this job.
http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/In ... rd_removal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Take your time and label everything when you disconnect it. Take digi pictures as you are doing it. Be methodical and you shouldn't have a problem. Being an earlyish van the heater case might be clipped together which makes motor change a lot easier .
Go for it :ok
Auto sleeper fitted with EJ 20 subaru lump

Smcknighty
80-90 Mem No: 14436

Post by Smcknighty »

It's not that hard - if you can master Lego you can do this. It's the same concept but with vaguer instructions

Smcknighty

Post by Smcknighty »

And when you get stuck post some pictures

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

No tales of woe. Its just a job you plod through but on the positive side you get access to stuff you otherwise couldn't. Replace windscreen washer pipes, maybe lag the front to reduce noise and keep in heat band tidy up the wiring. Can be a really rewarding job I find.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

merckxfan

Post by merckxfan »

Thanks for the replies guys, things are moving along and I've got a couple of questions that hopefully someone may be able to help with?.

I've got the dash off and am faced with the black plastic heater assembly in the centre of the bulkhead (as seen in the images on the wiki description of this job, I was hoping to add an image but it appears that 'the board attachment quota has been reached'!), having read the wiki info I think I need to undo the screws that hold it to the bulkhead, this should allow me to move it out enough to unclip the top section and reveal the motor within?.
1. Does the above sound feasible?.
2. Will I get away without having to disconnect the two water pipes?.

Cheers Matt

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

To post pictures go to computer in the wiki there's a tutorial on how to do it there.
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

dumbo
80-90 Mem No: 10625

Post by dumbo »

yes but get 2x pipes of and take it out and then its free to work on.... and plus while its out have a look in the front ?? give it a clean up and it might be ok or there might be some rust so sand it and paint it ?? when putting back there is a foam gasket on the front it might need making up a bit ??if not when you go for a drive the air will come though ie wind noise then got to start all over again?? :ok have fun enjoy it :wink:
simon
1986 DG WBX AUTOHOMES kamper

Smcknighty

Post by Smcknighty »

I had to drill one of the screws from what I remember.

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

LOTS of plusgas on those bulkhead bolts/screws. If you can spray from the back its a lot easier but tricky to see all four because of radiator.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

merckxfan

Post by merckxfan »

Thanks for all the help guys, it has not gone too badly, only sheared one bolt and everything now works. However on reconnecting the dashboard instrument pod, all the switches work but I've got no lights for indicator, oil, battery, high beam, and the fuel and temp gauges are not registering anything, anyone know what I've done wrong? :D . Cheers Matt

Reimotim
80-90 Mem No: 10331

Post by Reimotim »

merckxfan wrote:Thanks for all the help guys, it has not gone too badly, only sheared one bolt and everything now works. However on reconnecting the dashboard instrument pod, all the switches work but I've got no lights for indicator, oil, battery, high beam, and the fuel and temp gauges are not registering anything, anyone know what I've done wrong? :D . Cheers Matt

Check the pod connection block. They tend to get rather fragile and sometimes the contacts come away from the plastic they are printed on. Also the plastic tongue that slots in is easily damaged. Worth a check.

Tim :ok
1990 LHD Hi-top JX 5Speed.
3:16 cx

merckxfan

Post by merckxfan »

Checked the connection box, put it in properly this time! :oops: . Now all is good, time for a relaxing Sunday evening I think. Thanks again Matt

Reimotim
80-90 Mem No: 10331

Post by Reimotim »

merckxfan wrote:Checked the connection box, put it in properly this time! :oops: . Now all is good, time for a relaxing Sunday evening I think. Thanks again Matt

Well done!
On to the next thing!

Enjoy your evening.

Tim
1990 LHD Hi-top JX 5Speed.
3:16 cx

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

So, no tales of woe. I'm never quite sure why this job has a reputation for being a problem. Theres lots to do but before you know it, you're in there and back out again.