No voltage from my solar panels!!

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

gypo
80-90 Mem No: 9543

Re: No voltage from my solar panels!!

Post by gypo »

Yes, I think I will go right through it when I get a couple of hours.
Thanks
G
T25 1.9 Petrol 1985 Homebrew

gypo

Post by gypo »

ethelred the ready wrote:Image I think I should have another cup of tea, my brain isn't working.
How did you clean the potting compound out so you could get at the wires?
Cheers
G

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Just attacked it with a screwdriver by the look of it! Is yours something harder than a silicone sealer then?
Looking at his photo they appear to have a problem with putting enough solder/and or flux into the joint as it has barely touched the cable. That may be a general failing if yours is the same make.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

gypo

Post by gypo »

Mine looks as if it's the same material (hard)
I'll get the dremmel out and start with that I think and see how it goes.
Yes I agree there doesn't seem to be much in the way of solder on it by the looks!
Cheers
G

gypo

Post by gypo »

Just put the multi meter directly on the bars that the wires are solder to and had no voltage at all on both panels yet yesterday they were working?
Any one got any ideas as I'm a bit stumped tbh?
Thanks
G

Oldiebut goodie

Can you check any of the individual cells on the back for any voltage? (you weren't testing whilst panel was upside down were you!!?? :lol: )
Have you any pics of your panel or is it exactly the same as previous pic?
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

gypo

Post by gypo »

No the panels are still on the van,

gypo

Post by gypo »

Also it's bonded to roof. I know you can't see any cells as they are bonded to a sheet of aluminium.
Today no voltage from either panel and yesterday 18v from each panel when tested?
Thanks
G

Oldiebut goodie

I'm confused - how are you accessing the wiring junction box? - they are usually underneath the panels. Is yours on the side or top?
The symptoms are of poor solder joints with you then getting intermittent contact. I would remake all solder joints that you can see especially making sure that you use extra flux and sufficient heat to get a good join on that plate - if yours is the same. I would use a 75w iron at least so that you can get the heat there quickly and remove it quickly. An 18/25w iron will not be enough to do it quickly.

Here's a panel I made up years ago - it still puts out 21v under a desk lamp!
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Oldiebut goodie

Just seen your pic!
Are the connecting tracks running on the outside of the panel? :shock: Seems odd to me if they are.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

ethelred the ready
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by ethelred the ready »

Looks like the same panel I had, the tracks run on top of the aluminium backing sheet with the cells, and the whole lot is encapsulated in plastic. Looks like you have the multimeter on the terminal that the write connects to, try to find the metal tape that enters the top of the box and test for voltage there. Also as obg days just resolder everything, get rid of all the encapsulation, clean all metal, resolder with huge iron and extra flux
1.9 DG lpg 1989 caravelle bus

gypo

Post by gypo »

The connector box is mounted on the top of the panel, it's a semi flexi panel designed to be stuck down with sicoflex for eg. The tracks come up from the panel under the box and inside. You can't get access to the underside of the box.
I would have thought that even if it was a dry joint that putting the multi meter on the tracks and not the soldered wires ie by passing the wires it would show voltage at the tracks and not the wires?
I'm really at a loss as to what it could be.
The only thing I did notice and I don't know if it is a coincidence is they seemed to be working when it was not so hot ie cloudy yesterday yet on Sunday and today when it was sunny and got they weren't?
Cheers
G

gypo

Post by gypo »

ethelred the ready wrote:Looks like the same panel I had, the tracks run on top of the aluminium backing sheet with the cells, and the whole lot is encapsulated in plastic. Looks like you have the multimeter on the terminal that the write connects to, try to find the metal tape that enters the top of the box and test for voltage there. Also as obg days just resolder everything, get rid of all the encapsulation, clean all metal, resolder with huge iron and extra flux
Thanks, I know the pic is a bit deceiving but I did try the multi meter on all areas of the tracks just happens that the pic was showing it on the wire near the front. I couldn't hold the two prongs and take the pic lol.
Thanks
G

Oldiebut goodie

Solder joint is expanding and contracting with the sun causing continuity to break. You will have to work around the panel to find the breaking point. Start with the meter on a track near to the junction box and move away from it on the track for the opposite polarity and mark where you lose voltage. (You should be able to find some point on the panel where you have voltage from a group of cells - ignore the junction box until you have found voltage)
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

gypo

Post by gypo »

Oldiebut goodie wrote:Solder joint is expanding and contracting with the sun causing continuity to break. You will have to work around the panel to find the breaking point. Start with the meter on a track near to the junction box and move away from it on the track for the opposite polarity and mark where you lose voltage. (You should be able to find some point on the panel where you have voltage from a group of cells - ignore the junction box until you have found voltage)
Thanks, that does make sense, only problem with these panels is they are sealed in some sort of resin so none of the tracks are accessible to test.
I will have another look over them tomrw and see if there is anything obvious.
Funny how the two are acting the same tho.

Also I only bought them in March from an ebay shop, Im in contact with them to try and get them to do something out ie replace/refund but they are hard work tbh. Also during the installation I cut the plugs off them to shorten the wires and link them together so once they know this they will probably try and get out of honoring the warranty!
Thanks again for the info, I will have a good look over them on the weekend and see what I can do.
Cheers
G