Digital Volt/ammeter setup question

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ringo
80-90 Mem No: 1375

Digital Volt/ammeter setup question

Post by ringo »

I know a few people have installed the digital ammeters that come with a current shunt.

I have just installed mine and am getting no reading for Amps. The reason for this is because I have connected my meter to the end of a 3m cable which is simply not up to the job when dealing with such low voltages (low mV).

So my question is, what length of cable (and what diameter of wire) have people been using to get a meaningful reading from the current shunt?

Thanks in advance,

Ringo
Now driving a big bad VW LT Florida.

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Re: Digital Volt/ammeter setup question

Post by bigherb »

ringo wrote: I have just installed mine and am getting no reading for Amps. The reason for this is because I have connected my meter to the end of a 3m cable which is simply not up to the job when dealing with such low voltages (low mV).

Doubt if that is the problem. It is only a voltage signal going up the cables no load so it doesn't need to be heavy cable, it only measures the voltage between the two cables.
Check the two cables from the shunt for continuity, is the shunt the correct amperage if it is too high it won't always register low amperage.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

nicq
80-90 Mem No: 10290

Post by nicq »

What wire have you fitted the shunt in
2.1 Twin slider

ringo
80-90 Mem No: 1375

Post by ringo »

Hmm. The reason I suspected it was the cable was because it works if I connect the meter next to the battery/shunt. I'll check the continuity of the cable - good idea.
The shunt is in series with the ground - as per instructions and also stops a massive bit of live metal wallowing around :)
Now driving a big bad VW LT Florida.

ninja.turtle007
80-90 Mem No: 7278

Post by ninja.turtle007 »

I have a similar problem. Mine didn't come with instructions though. After some head scratching I had it working perfectly on the bench. I fitted in the van with the gauge about 1.6m away from the the shunt and the reading was 50% lower than it should be. I tried to adjust the pot on the back and it went to zero. I moved it closer the shunt and it worked again. I moved it back to the original position and nothing. After some fiddling it's now stuck showing 50A.

Not sure what I have done, maybe I damaged it by not using a separate power supply. But again it was working fine on the bench without using a separate power supply.

Full time Explorer http://www.resfeber.co.uk

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

I am sure that in the guff that came with the one that I tried it said that it wouldn't work correctly without using a separate power supply. It needed a reference voltage that was different to that of the current carrying cable. Mine died before fitting so didn't get to test it for long and wasn't going to waste money on another one.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

ninja.turtle007
80-90 Mem No: 7278

Post by ninja.turtle007 »

Oldiebut goodie wrote:I am sure that in the guff that came with the one that I tried it said that it wouldn't work correctly without using a separate power supply. It needed a reference voltage that was different to that of the current carrying cable. Mine died before fitting so didn't get to test it for long and wasn't going to waste money on another one.

The bench voltages I used were variable and the volts and amps followed fluctuations equally.

I'm probably going to try another unit but I am considering the the quality being an issue.
Full time Explorer http://www.resfeber.co.uk

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

I've got the volt/temperature/clock version. It works perfectly but yes you need a constant supply even on that with the unit having a separate wire to read actual volts. I hooked the volt sensor into the upgraded cable I added earlier this year to dash for headlights to get an accurate reading but used the low-level 12v dash supply to power it.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.