Simple Solar Setup?

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

colouredFunk
80-90 Mem No: 0

Simple Solar Setup?

Post by colouredFunk »

Hey, I'm starting to think about installing a solar panel for our 4 week trip to Portugal soon (August). With the aim of helping out the leisure battery with the Waeco fridge, and keep us independent away from the campsites.

I don't really want to spend any more money than I am already with various costs, so would like to see how cheap I can actually do this for.

The first question is, do I need to have a Solar Controller or can I wire the Solar Panel directly to the leisure battery? I'm guessing I do?
Is there much different between them, if I only have a one battery setup?

Is there much difference between rigid solar panels? I've seen this 100W for quite cheap - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Biard-100W-Wa ... 232d13ad93

How do I choose the controller? ..Can anyone recommend a good cheap one ? :)

Many thanks

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Re: Simple Solar Setup?

Post by California Dreamin »

Hi there.
That's a good panel and 100 watts should be enough in the constant glow of a Portuguese summer lol.
Mounting is the issue most don't want to drill holes and compromise the roof integrity (water leaks etc) so choose a semi flexible panel and glue it to the roof using Silkaflex.
Mines rigid but I was lucky enough to have 4 roof rail mounting points already fitted so mines nice and neatly mounted between the rear pair.
Yes you definitely need a controller as 'open' voltage on these panels is over 20 volts. Not to mention that the controller turns the panel into a 'smart charger' i.e. with different charge rates dependent upon the batteries state of charge and the all important 'float' charge for when the battery is fully charged. Without this the battery would soon boil dry.

I think you tend to get every one recommending the one they have used just because its the only one they know.
My whole 100 watt setup, including connectors and additional wiring, came to under £125.00

There is a very useful thread you can follow.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

Jawin89
80-90 Mem No: 13200

Post by Jawin89 »

Read through this thread, lots of info on there and what other people have done.

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=127964" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1989 1.9 WBX pop top

weldore
80-90 Mem No: 5833

Post by weldore »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221575625185? ... EBIDX%3AIT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

got mine today..brill bit of kit ..will charge both batteries
the word 'pissing' is safe

Dave and gail.....1983 Pop Top 1.9n/a diesel (aka Ready Steady Eddie)

colouredFunk

Post by colouredFunk »

great thanks!

I hadn't even thought about how to get the cable into the van!! I've got a tin top and often have a roof rack with surfboards on one side... So I guess it would make sense to mount it parallel to the gutters? Or do you think it won't make too much difference?

colouredFunk

Post by colouredFunk »

I've done it! Bought all the gear with no idea ;)

- 100w Flexible Solar Panel
- 10A/20A Dual Battery Solar Panel Charge Controller/Regulator + 20A Remote Meter
- Pre-Crimped 4mm² solar panel PV cable MC4 Connectors. 10m
- SIKAFLEX 512 Caravan Adhesive Sealant WHITE 300ml Motorhome Sika
- 3m 20A Twin Core

Just waiting for it all to arrive. Didn't realise I needed to get two MC4 cables!!! Wops! :)

So just to be clear, I am wiring the solar panel to the Charge Controller, then the controller directly to the leisure battery. It DOES NOT matter that I've got a split charge, zig unit and 240 charger (something like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-20A-Conne ... 27e76b9aed ) attached to the battery as well right?

Also, I'm planning on running the solar cables down the gutter and into the hole next to the tail-gate hinge... Anyone got any ideas of how to secure the cable to the tin top?

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

No it does not matter.
I doubt very much you'll need any help from the engine or the zig any more...

I have disconnected my split charge and junked all the hook up stuff, that's how impressive it is
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

lefty67
80-90 Mem No: 11783

Post by lefty67 »

kevtherev wrote:No it does not matter.
I doubt very much you'll need any help from the engine or the zig any more...

I have disconnected my split charge and junked all the hook up stuff, that's how impressive it is

Sorry to hijack thread but how many leisure batteries do you run kev and what size? interesting to know that you have ditched the split charge.
1.9td AAZ

T25 - an adventure before dementia

California Dreamin

colouredFunk wrote:I've done it! Bought all the gear with no idea ;)
Didn't realise I needed to get two MC4 cables!!! Wops! :)

To be honest, its a permenant fit so why have connectors?

I re-soldered wires directly into the box on the rear of the panel, so I have a straight run all the way to the controller with an inline fuse for safety...no MC4 connectors outside or before the controller!

The two joints I do have are going to the leisure battery enabling its removal.

See my untidy wiring lol.

Its the same both sides...no wires seen at all from the outside.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

colouredFunk

Post by colouredFunk »

ah yeah that's a good point, I didn't even think of that!! You're setup is nice n neat! Great for my OCD :shock:

Where have you drilled the hole then?

colouredFunk

Post by colouredFunk »

colouredFunk wrote: Also, I'm planning on running the solar cables down the gutter and into the hole next to the tail-gate hinge... Anyone got any ideas of how to secure the cable to the tin top?

Planning on getting these and sikaflexing them on http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16mm-25mm-28m ... 3641.l6368

nordberg
80-90 Mem No: 14064

Post by nordberg »

Martin
I had the same roof rack as yours by the looks of it (Sherpas Combi Translift). I de commissioned it when I first got the van thinking it was the reason for water getting in. However, for reasons I am not going to go into here I have re instated the rear mounts and thought about dropping the rack back in place but I know it's has a damaged bar so I am in two minds which way to go with it. I have considered solar so I may follow in your footsteps and utilize it for the panel. Not sure how your wiring gets into the van though :shock:

Red Atlantic pop top (1.9AAZ engine)http://www.daswolfgang.com

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Post by clift_d »

nordberg wrote:Not sure how your wiring gets into the van though :shock:

More details of Martin's system here:

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... &p=8011235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

nordberg
80-90 Mem No: 14064

Post by nordberg »

Red Atlantic pop top (1.9AAZ engine)http://www.daswolfgang.com

California Dreamin

Those mounts use 3 bolts, I simply utilized the middle bolt hole (so the mount is fastened by the two outter bolts instead of three) to run the wire through into the Poptop. That leaves a bare hole from the top which I blocked off with a plain grommet.
The mounts have rubber gaskets so an application of silicon sealer around each hole before fitting makes everything water tight. Two bolts are plenty for a relatively light solar panel.
I've purposefully pointed the panel downwards into the contour of the roof, to eliminate any chances of the panel catching the wind....at 80mph+ you understand lol.

The wiring going to my controller isn't very neat (on the side of the wardrobe) it could be done better but I really didn't want to drill holes for a 'rear entry' wayhay! through the Westy wardrobe unit....

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV