solphated leisure battery

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

thechubbsdub
80-90 Mem No: 6445

solphated leisure battery

Post by thechubbsdub »

My leisure battery is about a year old, it's a 115 amp deep cycle battery, it has recently been running out of power much faster than expected. I tried charging it fully and it only lasted 12 hours on a compressor fridge set on a medium setting. I had an auto electrican look at it and his opinion is that the battery is sulphated, I have never heard of this before. Has anyone had this problem and is there a way to reverse this?
Don't eat yellow snow.

http://www.helpinghandscambodia.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ZsZ
80-90 Mem No: 14899

Re: solphated leisure battery

Post by ZsZ »

If you leave the battery flat, a layer of sulphate is building up on the lead surface iside the battery. (From the sulphuric acid) regular charging with good chargers and not allowing to flat under 11 volts will extend the battery life.

There are some desulphating chargers and devices (like Ctek) on the market but they are expensive.
Some cheaper intelligent chargers (like the Aldi and Lidl ones) can manage some sulphate build up, but I am not sure about their efficiency. You need tho charge for a few days with them to check it out.

If the battery serviceable then filling up with distilled water is needed before charging.
Zoltan
1986 Multivan ex-Caravelle. Van since 2006, running mTDi 1Z since 2008 with Fiat Croma 1.9 TDid pump 2008-2019, custom pump since 2019
5spd custom box 4.57 diff + 0.74 5th

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

After you have replaced that battery with a new one ( ;) ) get yourself a "Low Voltage Disconnect" unit like THESE.
It will make your battery last for years and so pay for itself many times over.
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Post by California Dreamin »

A charger with a 'pulse' phase to clear the sulphation may help but to be honest, completely flattening the battery is the issue. I agree with John in that if users insist on running on 12 volts when using relatively 'high' consumers like a fridge, even a compressor type, then you must take precautions not to allow the battery to fully flatten. And even then, re-charge straight away afterwards.

As a side note* You could have your battery tested properly with a more sophisticated tester that shows capacity and amp hour rating. Your local battery shop should have one of these diagnostic type units, the test typically takes an hour and puts the battery through several phases and produces a printout of the batteries status.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

greasemonkey
80-90 Mem No: 14268

Post by greasemonkey »

If the battery has the filling holes, you can also try those battery 'tablets'.

They do work to help reduce sulphation.

Won't go into the chemistry but they a compound called EDTA for short and do help with old sulphated batteries, but to be honest most of this just extends the inevitable.

thechubbsdub
80-90 Mem No: 6445

Post by thechubbsdub »

Thanks for the replies, I think the son in law has a smart charger, will try that first. Looked at EDTA and the process involved, looks like it's a problem to dispose of responsibly.
Don't eat yellow snow.

http://www.helpinghandscambodia.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;