washer/wipers wont work

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

fazzer
80-90 Mem No: 7803

washer/wipers wont work

Post by fazzer »

after checking my van over for mot which was booked in for today(Saturday)the only thing it failed on was the washers and wipers because they wont work,they worked perfectly the day before, I tried them.Ive checked the fuse and its fine is there anywhere else to look.

fairwynds
80-90 Mem No: 3288

Re: washer/wipers wont work

Post by fairwynds »

Dirty switch? Earth crown?
You don't say what van...?
Does your heater blower fan work? Some vans gave a shared circuit between blower motor and wipers..
1.9 DG Bilbos 'Arragon' Hitop LPG'd by Gasure
1.9 TDi Golf Mk4 Estate
Member no 3288

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

Have you got power to the fuse? As it is powered by the relief relay.
And early or late fuse box?
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

fazzer

Post by fazzer »

its an 84 kamper hightop 1.9 dg,ive cleaned the crowns but they look ok anyway,the heater stopped working in September for a few weeks then just started working again but now don't work.

fazzer

Post by fazzer »

today I put a tester across the fuse and its dead,so I put a live to it and the heater ,washers and wipers worked,where could the problem be now,

bigherb

Post by bigherb »

fazzer wrote:today I put a tester across the fuse and its dead,so I put a live to it and the heater ,washers and wipers worked,where could the problem be now,
If the headlamps still work then probably the relief relay which powers the fuse, relay No 3 normally grey in colour.

fazzer

Post by fazzer »

Thanks for reply,headlamps work and fuse box is an early one with the bullet type fuses,does the relief relay apply

bigherb

Post by bigherb »

fazzer wrote:Thanks for reply,headlamps work and fuse box is an early one with the bullet type fuses,does the relief relay apply
yes

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

If its an 84 Fazzer, as mentioned, your wipers are on same fuse as blower motor. Its usually the ageing blower that pops the fuse. For safety sake get them apart. See last section on this page as to why you should do it and how:

http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Co ... eplacement" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"PRE-85 FUSEBOX MOD - ENSURING WIPERS WORK IF BLOWER KILLS FUSE"

Quote: "Because the blower and wipers use the same fuse on the these fuseboxes (a daft idea to be honest), any problem with the blower that for whatever reason, pops the fuse, also kills the wipers. Likewise the wipers could take out the blower. This can be a safety issue. I've mentioned before on here that I once had it happen on a busy motorway leaving me with no wipers in torrential rain and it was some miles before I could find a place to stop and replace the fuse - not good. In my view it was a design flaw."

The blower can draw a lot of current on startup as it ages - more sometimes than conventionally rated fuses and you may have a Summer job coming up, replacing blower motor but for now split them so wipers always work regardless of fan. The other cause of blowing fuse (I found ) was bad connections on the blower relay (if fitted). Its up above the earth crowns. Sometimes pulling off connectors and reseating relay will cure it. It can suffer same problems as the earth crowns.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

fazzer

Post by fazzer »

I have noticed theres 2 relays above crowns,theres 2 relays on top of the fuse board am I right to assume the grey one is the one I possibly need to change......
and yes covkid it is a bad idea will be changing it just need to get my mot sorted this week first..

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

You should be able to figure out which relay works fan - remove it and fan won't work :D

The act of removing it and putting it back may well solve the blown fuse issue anyway - with luck. I only noticed this problem when I saw the overheated wires at fusebox. Took me several months to nail that one.

Yep, split those two as soon as you can buddy. Its a right hazard if you're driving along in torrential rain and it goes. When VW wired it all up like that, with new blower and wiper motor it wasn't a problem. Its only now with old electric motors that the issue has cropped up.

I still think they should have had their own fuses but thinking about it, perhaps there just wasn't the room in the type of fusebox they were fitting at the time. After all, its the basic Aircooled version fusebox and that didn't have a dash fan so I imagine they just clumped those two together before rethinking the electrics and fitting a brand new fusebox (post-85) with spade fuses. :shock:

Relays on fuseboard are all the conventional stuff. Fan relay was an afterthought and mounted nearer crowns.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

fazzer

Post by fazzer »

problem solved it was a faulty relay no 24.thanks for all help/advice......