Heater blower woes

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Re: Heater blower woes

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

Old Webastos used hefty great resistors and they had to be mounted on metal to act as a heatsink - I am surprised that these ones aren't mounted the same.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

Hacksawbob
80-90 Mem No: 1168

Post by Hacksawbob »

Ive ordered a 15 amp pwm motor controller for £8 and plan to run it all through the full speed wire. The potentiometer is a little weedy looking but I'll let you know how I get on. got to be better than those bulky old resistors. Mine was working on full speed but not the other two, then the switch froze up. probably more a corrosion issue/switch issue than the resistors but isolating them out of the equation has got to be better than ripping the dash out right? plus full vaiable fan speed (in theory!) :wink:
member 1168

123-jn
80-90 Mem No: 12161

Post by 123-jn »

well its all back together and its all working thank goodness. It is a bit of a faf to do the job but now I have a blower again with all three speeds. I cleaned up both the earth crowns while the dash was off and all the spade connectors but still seem to have a voltage drop between the battery and the fuse box of about 0.5V. I can only think that VW use cable that degrades. I remember on my old 1963 beetle that there was never enough power to throw the relay on the starter (6Volt) and eventually I replaced the wiring from the ignition switch to the solenoid and hey presto no more trouble. I will try to upload the pics soon but my camera is playing silly whatsits at present. I need to find a card reader.
123-jn Autohomes Komet 2.1 DJ AUTO 1989 (closed loop LPG pierburg 2E3)
- Citroen C4 Picasso 1.6 HDi

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

All heavy current-carrying cable tends to degrade after 30 years of abuse. I replaced all the alternator/battery/starter cables this year (see WIKI) and also ran a new heavier guage one from battery to front, and the fusebox then taps into that.

The other issue is that anything that goes bad, like a blower motor which can draw excessive amps on startup as it ages, also heats up the main power feed. Incorrectly rated fuses compound problems. In adverse conditions where almost everything gets switched on, the load (potentially) can be enormous at times. You can see how fires start to be honest. :shock:
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Hacksawbob

Post by Hacksawbob »

Just follow up, I tried the resistor switch listed above, it worked well... For a week, it got extremely hot and would need to be installed with a cooling fan which might have made it last longer. There is a 30amp version which may be better suited.
member 1168

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

I would think only a reostat would cope with it long term and simpler possibly. Be interesting to see though.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Hacksawbob

Post by Hacksawbob »

That said I have a two way switch which will do for now with mid and high sttings, but it doesn't fit the hole in the facia :oops: I think the switch contacts are a bit weedy in the original switch, has anyone found a replacement that has better contacts in it?
member 1168

WLC
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by WLC »

123-jn wrote: I can only think that VW use cable that degrades.

It's not just VW :-(