7 inch budget lucas-style round headlights

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

California Dreamin
80-90 Mem No: 8386

Re: 7 inch budget lucas-style round headlights

Post by California Dreamin »

Like I say...you have taken my 'banter' far too seriously.....I have explained that it was your unconvincing picture that prompted the remark. Please don't get annoyed, carry on with the good work and take replies in the way they were meant, with humor.

Martin
1989 California 2.1MV

morr
80-90 Mem No: 10938

Post by morr »

itchyfeet wrote:...... just a pic of the setup to illustrate.....

That seemed obvious to me anyway. Nice idea on using the jubilee clips, and a good clear write up. Without actually making and testing them myself I obviously can't be certain, but I reckon they should be up to the job. (I'm not qualified on cars, but as a former aircraft mechanic do have some engineering know how :D )

Edited to fix quote
Last edited by morr on 23 Nov 2014, 20:38, edited 1 time in total.
Maurice

83 T3 2.0 GTi Caravelle
95 T3 2.6 SA Caravelle
84 Golf GTI Cabrio
96 Toyota Hilux-Surf

what2do
80-90 Mem No: 11974

Post by what2do »

Apologies for getting off the fence, BUT, exactly what external forces are being applied to peoples lamps that warrant anything greater than the suggested jubilee clip material??? I'd have thought vibration was more at play here rather than a loading on the clips. Just putting it out there.

Besides, everyone knows it's hip to be square when it comes to headlamps!!!
Why would the glass be anything other than half full?

'89 panel van, 1.9 DG.

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

California Dreamin wrote:Like I say...you have taken my 'banter' far too seriously.....I have explained that it was your unconvincing picture that prompted the remark. Please don't get annoyed, carry on with the good work and take replies in the way they were meant, with humor.

Martin

I can do banter, in fact I love it, was this that anoyed me
California Dreamin wrote:. I still think a strip of jubilee clip is too soft...

on what basis do you make this decision? it can't move in a vertical plane because of the lugs so having proved each clip can withstand 8kg vertically what do you think will bend the clip?
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Lets not clutter this thread with he said this and he said that. It doesn't help anyone else either.

There are a few ways to make the clips and in the end it'll be whatever works and depend to a large extent on whatever you have to hand and ingenuity. As long as the lamp isn't rattling and doesn't fall out, it'll do the job. Also lets be clear, the lucas style lamp isn't the bees knees in terms of design but it does the job at little cost. Having made some clips, I'm going to try other lamps after Christmas. :D
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

:ok

an important point I started out trying to make is don't bin your origional frames if you buy new headlights ( as I did)
The 'new'ones probably won't have adjuster rings and so can't be modified with different lighting units.
The 'new' head light I got didn't last long and at £ 45 it's not good value.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Couldn't agree more on that. Its well worth cleaning up even rusty ones as they give you far more choice when it comes to fitting. I still wonder why these original light holders clearly had lucas type locating points yet were never fitted with any - unless it wasn't ironed out at the design stage or was meant to give more flexibility overseas?

No way are lucas lug types a drop-in light unit though. Its as if that aspect was never seen through to its conclusion. That said, I don;t suppose VW made them anyway.

"Good news Horst, the VW boys at Hannover want us to make light fittings for their new T3 model"

"Ok Heinz, do they want those feeble British pig-dog headlamps or good strong Hella ones?"

"I have no idea Horst, I just got a note from the factory written on the side of this tin of Sauerkraut"

"Ah OK, best do both then - just to be on the safe side."

:rofl
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

itchyfeet wrote:The 'new' head light I got didn't last long and at £ 45 it's not good value.

itchyfeet wrote:an important point I started out trying to make is don't bin your original frames if you buy new headlights ( as I did)

And guess what I did just a month or two ago, both of the above :roll: , 2 x £45 lights and binned the old ones (actually I only binned them a week ago :roll:)
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

But the good news is that all those rusty old non H4 headlights nobody wants can now be refurbished.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

itchyfeet wrote:But the good news is that all those rusty old non H4 headlights nobody wants can now be refurbished.

Aye, those are the type I threw away :oops: - There was someone on the "swaps and give aways" thread offering some of these old Pre H4 type mounts a week or three ago.
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

If not, get two massive wodges of plastercine and shove your lights in those :D

Mind you, best adjust them quick. That stuff will set like concrete in this weather.

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Ever heard of Polymorph? Might work, might not...
http://m.polymorphplastic.co.uk/Home.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

I've used it for various things, softens around 60 degrees. I reckon it will fail quickly. It is as hard as nylon at room temps but in warmer conditions will start to soften.
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

keytouch
80-90 Mem No: 4484

Post by keytouch »

CJH wrote:I've just bought a pair of black Defender bezels - they were cheap enough to take a risk. There seems to be enough meat around the securing screw holes that it might be possible to drill new holes if the existing ones don't line up.

I'd be very interested to hear about what you find with these.
Jonathan

A Camper called Wanda
1983 A reg Bilbo Marlfield conversion, 1900 Diesel 1Y engine

CJH
80-90 Mem No: 12576

Post by CJH »

It would be convenient if they could be adapted wouldn't it. But I'm already doubting that they'll work. If you look at Itchy's photo, the screw holes seem to be pretty much at 120 degree spacings, and somehow it looks like the Defender bezels just don't have tabs at the right spacings (like my lottery tickets - how can it be possible for all those permutations to miss?). Obviously I can't tell for sure from just a photo, but I'm less optimistic than I was when I placed the order.

"I'm a man of means, by no means....King of the Road!"

1983 Viking Xplorer, 2.1DJ