7 inch budget lucas-style round headlights

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Smosh
80-90 Mem No: 12801

Re: 7 inch budget lucas-style round headlights

Post by Smosh »

In one place is great. Just maybe a summary someday of the options.

so far I have:

- you can buy these budget headlights that need a homemade clip fitted. these will replace standard option. give much for much but at significantly reduced price.

- You can fit put a new section of wiring with a relay "headlight relay upgrade" which reduce the amp lost in the standard system thus resulting in brighter lights. this could be done as per the wiki or using one of a number of kits around including a Landrover one?

- You can put in Nightbreaker H4 bulbs into the existing light unit to increase brightness.

SO... the best thing to do would be the relay upgrade, buy the lucas lights and stick in nightbreakers? or start eating a shed load of carrots? oh and check and clean all earths
1984 Voltswagen 25 Pop-Top (No idea what type!?) 1.9 W/C Petrol based in Guernsey, C.I.

itchyfeet
80-90 Mem No: 12733

Post by itchyfeet »

To me this is about a long term solution, the replacement headlights are £ 90 a pair and poor quality so if I can invest in some bezels then I can keep my headlighs going indefinately with budget replacements.
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
1989 DJ digijet WBX Holdsworth Villa 3 Pop Top
itchylinks

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

Smosh wrote:In one place is great. Just maybe a summary someday of the options.

No doubt it will end up in the wiki once we have done it to death here :D
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

nicktennear
80-90 Mem No: 8931

Post by nicktennear »

I've bought the T3 Technique relay upgrade, even with postage the exchange rate makes it cheaper than the Landrover kit. Once it's in I'll post some feedback. As well as sticking the Lucas lights, Nightbreakers and relays in I'm also going to add a warning buzzer. Yes, I did leave them on. :oops:
1983 Reg 1.9 DF, mostly Devon. Wave on your way past.

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

For lights on warning, I just added a yellow LED to the redundant ones in dash. Hard to miss it even in daylight but not annoying. However, like most T25 owners, I do a set routine cockpit check getting out anyway. :D
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

Oldiebut goodie
80-90 Mem No: 11135

Post by Oldiebut goodie »

So do I check - except that I am always leaving the parking light on - maybe I should stop signalling before I stop. :lol:
1.6D 2019 VW T-Cross
200hp VW T6
1̶Y̶ ̶1̶9̶8̶7̶ ̶H̶i̶-̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶C̶a̶r̶a̶v̶e̶l̶l̶e̶
5̶0̶8̶d̶ ̶M̶e̶r̶c̶

itchyfeet

Post by itchyfeet »

Kill switch on fusebox power, just one thing to do :D
1988 DG WBX LPG Tin Top
itchylinks

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

If its that bad I just pull the earth lead from under drivers seat. Incidentally, I really like those quick-clamps. Got them on both batteries now.
Roller paint your camper at home: http://roller.epizy.com/55554/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for MP4 download.

nicktennear
80-90 Mem No: 8931

Post by nicktennear »

I do have a kill switch but since sorting the power drain I sometimes forget. In school I reverse into the bay so kids can see if I've left my lights on and let me know.
1983 Reg 1.9 DF, mostly Devon. Wave on your way past.

boardmonkey
80-90 Mem No: 6853

Post by boardmonkey »

itchyfeet wrote:Today I had some time so I decided to investigate why everybody else can fit these with just some small brackets and I could not.

To be clear the budget headlights here are from Eurocarparts and have loops welded on the back other variants may not be so easy and need brackets.

The reason is below, I also found you can indeed fit these headlights to existing original frames with just three cable ties so this makes a very interesting upgrade for people with the right frames and old style lamp bases.

Before I did anything I drove my van up to the gates and marked where the peak beam and top cut off of the dipped beam were so I can check them later when I put it back

Bloody brilliant, cheers Itchy - took an hour to replace both my headlights....had to take the surrounds out and 2 screws were rotten, which took the time - but well chuffed with the result.

When I took both headlights out I could see my problem, the right had one in the pic is an original and it has an adjuster ring which the headlight screws into, the left hand one does not have this adjuster ring, the headlight has the mountings of the adjuster ring to frame welded onto the headlight.

If you look closely on the original you can see the old headlight screws on to the adjuster ring but on the adjuster ring are three cutouts that are not used in the original headlight, fit perfectly with the budget replacement :D

So it was clear to me that three cables ties is all that's needed to hold this in place and there is your upgrade, what could be easier, you may even be able to do this without removing the frame from the van!
only time will tell if the welds on these loops are strong enough to last, if you are concerned then make some brackets.

Now to the other headlight, this was replaced a few years ago as the original got smashed, but I can't see any easy way to adapt this, it can be seen that the adjuster points are off set from the loops on the budget headlight so to make anything is going to be quite complicated.

So DON'T throw away your old headlight surrounds if you are buying new as new headlights may not have the adjuster ring.

It looks like I could add an adjuster ring to my frame so Just need to stick an ad in the wanted section now.

Can anybody tell me please do early headlights with the bigger lamp base have this adjuster ring?
''Nellie'' born 01/87 Hannover WV2ZZZ25ZHH067456 now fitting with a new heart EJ25 N/A

weldore
80-90 Mem No: 5833

Post by weldore »

fitted mine today and took some pics just in case anyone wanted to do theirs...but found this thread and its been done to death :rollin

and fitted the cheapo radiator :ok
the word 'pissing' is safe

Dave and gail.....1983 Pop Top 1.9n/a diesel (aka Ready Steady Eddie)

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

More to the point ECP have stopped selling them I think. This thread morphed into:

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... &start=105" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

weldore
80-90 Mem No: 5833

Post by weldore »

oh..thems fancy pants ones..i just used the cheap ones we got about a year or so ago when them rads were on offer

if anyone is still interested in a way to make the 3 clips from your old lamps let me know :ok
the word 'pissing' is safe

Dave and gail.....1983 Pop Top 1.9n/a diesel (aka Ready Steady Eddie)

Negativegravity
80-90 Mem No: 10992

Post by Negativegravity »

Has anyone had to adjust the beam direction/height once fitting these budget ones and some z-clips? If so, how did you go about it?

Cheers

CovKid
Trader

Post by CovKid »

Depends. Sometimes they're fairly close but I created a WIKI on how to adjust them if you have issues. Its actually very easy:

http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/VW ... Adjustment" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You just need a quiet road in the evening to set them up then check again on several roads, tweaking slightly to get them just right.

Most of us have switched to the units sold by powerful-uk as they average just £30 a pair and are like a lighthouse in comparison to the £8 units.

E-marked and simply pee on Hella units: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Crystal-7-Hal ... 27f684caaa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

See: http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... 8&start=45" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;