horn stuck on!

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

hefti
80-90 Mem No: 12678

horn stuck on!

Post by hefti »

This weekend I removed the steering wheel to get rid of the grot on it and put it back but haven't been anywhere in her since. Jumped in her before and turned the ignition to the horn booming! Tried removing the spade terminals under the horn push its still on. The copper ring around the bottom of the steering wheel has disconnected in one part but it was like this when it was taken off at weekend. How do I make it stop... And fix it? ( before the Neighbours start a lynch mob)
1983 t25 hightop
1.9 diesel
stupid 5 speed gearbox!

mrhutch
80-90 Mem No: 2698

Re: horn stuck on!

Post by mrhutch »

remove the earth terminal from the horn itself.. then you can start fixing the problem.
1981 Vanagon Westy Burning oil as fuel...  

hefti
80-90 Mem No: 12678

Re: horn stuck on! again! ! :(

Post by hefti »

Does anyone know if you can just buy the copper ring that fits in the steering wheel? Or do I have to buy a new steering wheel?
1983 t25 hightop
1.9 diesel
stupid 5 speed gearbox!

dickie14
80-90 Mem No: 13336

Re: horn stuck on!

Post by dickie14 »

If this is what you mean then yes:

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Hor ... 376333.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's a sort of press fit and I needed to get a little creative with the wire as the crimp that came on it was smaller than the tag on the horn button itself (mine's an '81), but otherwise dead easy swap.

(After fitting the new one it turned out the reason my horn wasn't working was that the earth connection at the bottom of the steering column had come off...!)

Dickie
1981 2.0 CU automatic Westy poptop