Replacing the dashboard plastic PCB

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Re: Replacing the dashboard plastic PCB

Post by clift_d »

ajsimmo wrote:Just a slight issue with early v late diesel pcb configuration for glow plug light, but very quickly sorted and great customer service.

Ahh. That sounds familiar - I recently fitted this PCB replacement to our van, and had an issue with the glow plug light not coming on, which I assumed was something failing back in the engine compartment. Is it something I should be able to resolve myself, or does it require parts from SHC / BW?
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

Just contact Ben at SHC, he'll sort it for you

Sent from my moto g(30) using Tapatalk

The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

clift_d
80-90 Mem No: 11695

Replacing the dashboard plastic PCB

Post by clift_d »

To cut a long story short, SHC sent a replacement PCB free of charge, to address the glow plug issue. I fitted this, but the part was defective which could potentially have left us stranded after Christmas. We got in touch with SHC, and Ben and his team have bent over backwards to overnight a replacement kit to us, over the holiday period, and so we are all sorted again.

It's a good kit, backed up by great customer support.
1988 LHD T25 1.6TD Westfalia Club Joker Hightop syncro

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Post by jed the spread »

There is a designated kit for the early vans with vertical plug here. https://campervanculture.com/shop/dash- ... ir-cooled/

As people are now realising that there are more than two types of replacement PCB’s I thought it might be useful to share this.

I hope this helps,

Jed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More

ajsimmo
Trader

Post by ajsimmo »

Thanks for taking time to post the link, Jed, but it's for the wrong kit. This isn't a vertical plug dash, it's a late dash but there's a wiring difference on the glow plug circuit on some diesel vans which needs a small mod of the SHC kit to fix. It's still a very good kit at a sensible price, and I'm sure Ben and the SHC team are sorting the issue for future sales now that they're aware of it.
As said, excellent customer service from SHC and Brickwerks, as always.
I would think most people are already aware of the expensive campervan culture kit before choosing the best value option from SHC/Brickwerks.

ZsZ
80-90 Mem No: 14899

Post by ZsZ »

I am not sure if this project was mentioned before:
https://github.com/brvdg/T25_cluster_fix
He is selling the Mk3 version:
https://fiz-o-matic.net/t3-tachoplatine-mark3/
Although he is in Germany, so customs may apply.
I like the idea of not having to switch to LED backlighting
Zoltan
1986 Multivan ex-Caravelle. Van since 2006, running mTDi 1Z since 2008 with Fiat Croma 1.9 TDid pump 2008-2019, custom pump since 2019
5spd custom box 4.57 diff + 0.74 5th

jed the spread
Trader

Post by jed the spread »

ajsimmo wrote:Thanks for taking time to post the link, Jed, but it's for the wrong kit. This isn't a vertical plug dash, it's a late dash but there's a wiring difference on the glow plug circuit on some diesel vans which needs a small mod of the SHC kit to fix. It's still a very good kit at a sensible price, and I'm sure Ben and the SHC team are sorting the issue for future sales now that they're aware of it.
As said, excellent customer service from SHC and Brickwerks, as always.
I would think most people are already aware of the expensive campervan culture kit before choosing the best value option from SHC/Brickwerks.

Blimey.. that’s a bit of a moody and bitchy post, especially from a trader! Not sure if a representative of Just Kampers, VW Heritage or any of the USA companies like Gowesty would come back with something like that! I was just trying to be helpful as I hadn’t been on here for ages and was reading back through this thread. I did read a mention from someone about an early set and that one CampervanCulture.com does have and has been selling them
for a good few year now with 0% returns or issue. This thread pops up on Google when searching the issue so people are looking for an early replacement tried and tested plug and play solution.

Price wise that kit from us is the CMA kit and the RRP is £144.99. I see other kits retailing at £138.50 but that does not cover the vertical plug from what I can see but if anyone thinks the extra £6.49 is ‘expensive’ for something that we do have and can ship them I am more than happy to price match for club 80-90 members for sure. Ours could be made cheaper if we didn’t ever have them. Or I see you can buy the Gowesty kits in the UK too that do cover the vertical plug and that is £329.50 and £184.51 more than the CMA ‘expensive campervan culture kit’.

I am a bit out of the loop with the forum lately as I haven’t been on here for years, but if I have upset anyone could they please send me a message before they feel the need to have a dig so I can try to put things right.

Cheers,

Jed

CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

Stesaw
80-90 Mem No: 17004

Post by Stesaw »

I didn't think Andrews post was bitchy or moody, I think he was just saying why the kit you linked isn't suitable for the application that the chap needs :).

Although I guess he had a dig at the price. But let's be honest about prices, eveybody wants to pay the best price for something if both items do the same job. Something like the gowesty kit thats bout 150 quid more is the daft choice, thats like £150 that could go on beer! .. or more parts / rust repair :roll: ;)
1985 LeisureDrive 2.1DJ 5 Speed syncro conversion project.
1979 LT 2.0CH Westy project

jed the spread
Trader

Post by jed the spread »

Stesaw wrote:I didn't think Andrews post was bitchy or moody, I think he was just saying why the kit you linked isn't suitable for the application that the chap needs :).

Although I guess he had a dig at the price. But let's be honest about prices, eveybody wants to pay the best price for something if both items do the same job. Something like the gowesty kit thats bout 150 quid more is the daft choice, thats like £150 that could go on beer! .. or more parts / rust repair :roll: ;)
Yeah digs will always cause someone to defend something they are truly passionate about that for sure. The Gowesty kit is really good too don’t get me wrong, I used to stock it but since we did the Clustermaster kits over the last 5 years or so and have sold hundreds of them there was just no demand for it.

I like beer too, nice mind set hehehe..

Jed

CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

cobblers
80-90 Mem No: 17450

Post by cobblers »

One day if I'm quiet at work (I repair instrument clusters for a living) I'll draw up the original flex PCBs and get them remade as is, rather than having a load of wires going all over the place - The price of flexible boards has come way down in the last few years.

Hopefully somebody will beat me to it. 

ajsimmo
Trader

Post by ajsimmo »

Blimey! That's me told.
I must apologise, Jed. Last I knew you were selling the very expensive GoWesty kit, and didn't know that you had changed as I rarely have reason to visit the CVC site.

Last edited by ajsimmo on 04 Jan 2022, 20:58, edited 1 time in total.

ZsZ

Post by ZsZ »

cobblers wrote: 04 Jan 2022, 12:43 One day if I'm quiet at work (I repair instrument clusters for a living) I'll draw up the original flex PCBs and get them remade as is, rather than having a load of wires going all over the place - The price of flexible boards has come way down in the last few years.

Just saw this:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewt ... p?t=763460
Zoltan
1986 Multivan ex-Caravelle. Van since 2006, running mTDi 1Z since 2008 with Fiat Croma 1.9 TDid pump 2008-2019, custom pump since 2019

cobblers
80-90 Mem No: 17450

Post by cobblers »

ZsZ wrote: 05 Jan 2022, 07:00
cobblers wrote: 04 Jan 2022, 12:43 One day if I'm quiet at work (I repair instrument clusters for a living) I'll draw up the original flex PCBs and get them remade as is, rather than having a load of wires going all over the place - The price of flexible boards has come way down in the last few years.

Just saw this:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewt ... p?t=763460
Hahah, what great timing!

Splurt
80-90 Mem No: 9694

Post by Splurt »

Brilliant! Will be interesting to see if they would be willing to share the design with the right person (looking at you Cobblers!) so they can be produced over this side of the pond.  Hopefully they don't have a purely commercial interest for the future
Ryan

89 - 1.8T AGU - SA Syncro - Hightop Camper 

'I love my brick'
Fr Jack Hackett

ZsZ

Post by ZsZ »

Splurt wrote: 05 Jan 2022, 09:22 Brilliant! Will be interesting to see if they would be willing to share the design with the right person (looking at you Cobblers!) so they can be produced over this side of the pond.  Hopefully they don't have a purely commercial interest for the future

All of these repair kits are in the same price range wherever they made. Looks like this is the amount that the "people of the developed countries" willing to pay. So I think it wont be cheaper. :(
Zoltan