Electric fuel pump wiring (Novice alert!)

An alchemy of sparks, copper wire and earth

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Re: Electric fuel pump wiring (Novice alert!)

Post by ajsimmo »

bigherb wrote:Heritage have them cheaper on Ebay.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MK2-GOLF-Fuel ... 5403e4f92e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Coil pins are the ignition coil terminals.

Tinley tech do one much cheaper. It's called "Safety relay" on there as it's designed to switch off LPG when engine not running, but it is exactly the same in operation.
Here's the LINK
Can also be used to provide an output to a fridge supply relay, so your 12V fridge only works with engine running.
Last edited by ajsimmo on 21 May 2014, 10:01, edited 1 time in total.
The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran

ben50
80-90 Mem No: 5298

Post by ben50 »

Finally had some time to look at the camper again this morning.

Fitted the new distributor (I followed this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkyBAMMHpa4), and coil connected everything up and the engine will turn over and the fuel pump buzzes on and off whilst cranking the engine, but it doesn't fire up.

tried many times now, checked and double checked the connections swapped between the two different fuel pump safety relays but no joy.
Also getting massive backfire occasionally when cranking the engine and smaller popping sounds but not firing up.

I checked each spark plug against the block while cranking the engine and they all spark. when checking number 2 there was a huge back fire though. I'm getting a pulsing (although quite faint) from the test lamp out of terminal 31b of the relay when cranking.

Any ideas? Could the engine be shot? the coil wrong? (although i got the one that was meant to match the distributor according to the simon bbc ebay info) Carbs blocked? not sure where to go from here :o(
RHD German import 2L CU microbus, slowly becoming a not so rusty camper with a GTI engine

bigherb
80-90 Mem No: 5789

Post by bigherb »

If it is backfiring then you have got the spark at the wrong time.
Is the firing order correct?
Is the rotor arm pointing to number one cylinder when it is supposed to?
Is the timing correct.
1982 Camper 1970 1500 Beetle Various Skoda's, Ariel Arrow

ben50

Post by ben50 »

cheers for the reply.

I've got the plugs connected up firing order 1, 4, 3, 2. with the distributor turning clockwise.

I set up the timing by sight as in the you tube video, as far as I can tell the rotor arm points to the number one cylinder lead at the right point (the rotor arm points to the rear right hand corner of the van).

could the fact that the garage reset the distributor to 0 make this much difference to the new distributor?
should I turn the distributor to attempt to correct it, if so which direction and by increments of how much?

I've not been able to correctly set the timing yet, that was going to be the first job once it's running :o(

Thanks Ben
RHD German import 2L CU microbus, slowly becoming a not so rusty camper with a GTI engine

bigherb

Post by bigherb »

Yes turn the distributor either way to see if it makes any difference.

ben50

Post by ben50 »

Hi, cheers, I've tried various positions in both directions but still no joy, it hasn't repeated the big backfiring, but the battery is now in need of charging so maybe that is also having an impact? I've put the battery on charge for tonight and I''ll try again in the morning.

ben50

Post by ben50 »

Freshly charged battery, still no running engine :o(

it's turning over but making loads of popping sounds, not backfiring but sounds under pressure?

ben50

Post by ben50 »

RIght then - new ignition leads fitted and still no difference. Then I moved all the leads over by two spaces and success the camper lives again ;o)

so is it OK to run like this? is the new distributor just set 180 degrees out? so plug 3 now becomes plug 1?

Cheers,

Ben

bigherb

Post by bigherb »

Yes it is not uncommon.

ben50

Post by ben50 »

Cool, Thanks for all your help getting me sorted ;o)

ScienceBoy
80-90 Mem No: 11736

Post by ScienceBoy »

Hi Herb,
I'm following option 3. I've identified all the connections except where to take the ignition controlled feed. Is the 15 pin off the coil OK, based on feedback on the other option?
1988 Hightop
1.9 DG Petrol

ScienceBoy

Post by ScienceBoy »

Of course now it's taken me over two hours on my back just to finally find someway to fix it, I'm wishing it just replaced the the mechanical pump...
I'm sure I'll feel better once it's finished.
Tea break over, back out into the cold.
1988 Hightop
1.9 DG Petrol

ScienceBoy

Post by ScienceBoy »

All done now. Just a little tidying up. Going to fit a small aluminium plat below the pump to protect it too.
ImageImage
It did take a while to start. Not quite immediate, but there was a chunk of oil in the pump. Just need to take it to work this week for a decent run out.
1988 Hightop
1.9 DG Petrol

Merrsh1
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by Merrsh1 »

Morning

I’m in the process of fitting an electrical pump. I’m struggling to get it working, I’m using a relay. When I turn the key I’m not getting any power to the pump.

Can anyone give me some pointers please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aircooled 2.0 1981

ajsimmo
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6542

Post by ajsimmo »

Merrsh1 wrote: Image

From your picture I've tried to deduce your connections: blue wire to earth, yellow/black to coil pulse/negative side of coil, terminal nearest camera (can't see colour) as ignition live (my advice - should really be an insulated terminal), and the rearmost blue insulated terminal is the output to the pump. Is that all correct?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

The Campershack - (website paused)
WBX Rebuilds & Upgrades from the beautiful Isle of Arran